VOIP not working

vin
Level 2
Level 2

I ran test this morning at 10am - not any better - Downloads 9Mbps and uploads 12Mbps. I consistenctly get faster upload speeds - I suppose it will be better if downloads faster. For instance yesterday evening I couldn't even watch a program on youtube on my smart TV and the only other device on the WLAN/WAn was a laptop being used for office work. So not sure why I have bigger bandwidth for uploads - it doesn't make any sense. At about $100 per month, this is not good service when you can't even do simple things like watching youtube!!

KarlB

Hi @vin 

Your plan is the NBN25/5Mbps. Your connection should not be able to get 12Mbps for your upload, so your results are a little odd.

-Your current sync rate is 29/6 Mbps and has not dropped for over 1 week.

-Are you connecting through a VPN when you are running your speedtest?

Regards,

Karl

vin
Level 2
Level 2

speedtest.png

This is result using LAN cable and no VPN. Not sure why upload bandwidth almost twice the advertised speed of 5 but downloads less than half advertised speed. I am only 1.5k from the node. Understand the max bandwidth possible in FTN setups 25 to 30 Mbps - but I would still want to upgrade to NBN50 as it is cheaper than current plan NBN25. Hopefully that can fix the speed issues if I can get anything 20Mbps or more.  

KarlB

Hi @vin 

Can you please try to use the below speedtest. The speedtest you have provided the results for are connecting to a Singapore server.

http://tpg.speedtestcustom.com/

Regards,

Karl

vin
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @KarlB 

Attached test using TPG servers in Sydney - still bad download speeds @11Mbps at 8.30 in the morning when it should be quite good. I have NBN25 - the copper cables are capable of 25 to 30 Mbps but I am not even getting half the bandwidth. This is why I would like to upgrade to NBN50 as I am suspect the actual bandwidth is much lower than whats advertised. regards vin

KarlB

Hi @vin 

All the line tests that I have run from my end have all come back passing. This might indicate that your issue is more local. I would recommend before changing your plan that you speak to our helpdesk team to try and work out where the fault is. If you still just want to just upgrade your plan, we have created these articles which may help:

Regards,

Karl

vin
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @KarlB 

I upgraded to NBN50 today - mostly because it is about $20 cheaper per month than my current plan. I am expecting at least 20 to 25MBps download speeds after upgrade becomes effective. If there is no improvement than definitely problem is locally or on the 25+ years old copper lines from the node to my house.

cheers

vin

KarlB

Hi @vin 

No worries. Let me know how you go.

Regards,

Karl

vin
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @KarlB 

Speedtest at 8.25am - about same time as yesterday but on NBN50.

Downloads 25Mbps and uploads about 10Mbps. 

So the old POTS copper cables to my house are capable of 25 to 30 Mbps which means the NBN25 speeds were actually about 10 to 15Mbps - which is the range I consistently got on every speed test. 

Anyway consider this solved for now and thanks for bearing with my nagging for so long.