TPG Community

Get online support

Voip Settings for VDSL

RedDrifter
Level 2

Ive just upgraded to a new modem and I am am chasing the TPG VDSL (FTTN) settings for Voip.

29 REPLIES 29
BasilDV

Hi @RedDrifter,

Welcome to TPG Community!

The VoIP phone for the TPG NBN FTTN/FTTB/HFC/FTTC service will not work on any third party modem/router. The settings for the VoIP is already embedded in the special firmware of the TPG supplied VDSL modem.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

SineNomine
Level 3

Good luck with that RedDrifter. TPG will give you no assistance. I've been in dispute with them for over a month about exactly the same issue and they have proven to be unhelpful.

When my TPG modem died, having no means of communication whatsoever, I purchased a modem/router locally that claimed to be fully compatible with NBN FTTN. I needed to have something in order to restore communication.

@RedDrifter wrote:

Ive just upgraded to a new modem and I am am chasing the TPG VDSL (FTTN) settings for Voip.

I asked TPG for the information to configure it, They tried for a while, then had a change of heart. In a nutshell they said, 'No we can’t help you, you have to have our modem.'

I do not consider that my request to configure it manually was difficult since it is NBN FTTN compatible in ALL respects and that the service is supposedly provided through the NBN and via FTTN.

It is not unreasonable to expect a system of minimum disruption to the landline/internet should the modem fail (IE minutes/hours) - which essentially means NOT having to wait for about a week for one to arrive from TPG which is totally unacceptable, unprofessional, impractical  when NBN compatible modems are able to be purchased by the public anywhere in Australia.

Furthermore, The modem that TPG supplies has been hacked disabling some of it's vital functionality - it is inferior, but more importantly, by insisting that they exclusively provide a modem to access all aspects of the service is in effect 'restrictive practice' and contravenes the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 Schedule 2 according to my legal representative in respect to being an unfair contract.

I have already logged the issue with ACCC and they are interested in the problem. I strongly suggest that you do the same. The more people who do this, the better.

Before NBN, when things went wrong you could just replace a modem with minimum downtime. With NBN, when a modem fails there is no internet or phone. Waiting for the best part of a week for the arrival of a new one from TPG is unacceptable. Period. How is it an improvement on what we previously enjoyed.

To be fair, until the NBN arrived I have been very satisfied with the service provided by TPG both in the supply and the support. I am a long standing customer, and I had hoped that my loyalty would be rewarded, however, on this issue, which is simply to provided technical information to configure a modem, they have been unsupportive and obtuse.

Erika

Hi @SineNomine,

We apologize if we are not able to provide you with the VOIP settings of TPG NBN Homephone service. Our VoIP system relies on the customized firmware of the TPG supplied modem for the VOIP credentials to authenticate. Unfortunately, third party devices will not work as it is how it was designed.

You can still use your own router as a wireless access point, however it has to be plugged into the TPG supplied modem. If there are any issues with the equipment you can advise us asap so we can assist.

Regards,

SineNomine
Level 3

Hello Erika

You have missed the entire point of my post

It is not unreasonable to expect a system of minimum disruption to the landline/internet should the modem fail (IE minutes/hours) - which essentially means NOT having to wait for about a week for one to arrive from TPG which is totally unacceptable, unprofessional, impractical  when NBN compatible modems are able to be purchased by the public anywhere in Australia.

ENDQUOTE

Tell me how to solve that and I will stop bugging you. (I'm sure busnesses would tolerate it, so why should private individuals).

Thanks

Joseph_D

@SineNomine I understand that you wish to avoid any downtime. Your request to have the sip settings for TPG Home Phone so you can configure it on a 3rd party equipment is currently not possible as our system is not designed that way.

We will pass on your concerns. Should you encounter any issues with the service then please feel free to advise us. One of my collagues have responded to your private message.

jreschda
Level 2

@Joseph_D

I have been looking for answers to this very question, I'm a network engineer who works from a home office and i have a business NBN plan and i plan to use a Cisco 1921 with VDSL card as my home office router as my network requires enterprise grade functionality that the generic home brand routers don't provide.

I plan to use the TPG supplied router as an access point for the time being, so if the TPG supplied router is connected to internet through my 1921's GE 0/0 port will the voip work as normal or does it need to be the WAN device?

Len1234
Level 2

Hello Erika,

I am in complete agreement with SineNomine. I have been using TPG for many years with a Fritzbox 7390. Then the NBN comes along and I can no longer configure the telephone VOIP setting for the NBN embedded telephone service on my preferred modem. TPG provide some lame excuse that the configuration is embedded within their normally supplied substandard chinese modem firmware. It very well may be but that does not mean the VOIP settings cannot be extracted and provided to those who wish to use their own modem. The german manufacturers of the Fritzbox have indicated to me that TPG will not provide them with the configuration parameters for the embedded VOIP. Given that the configuration paramaters are not proprietary information, I believe that TPG has an obligation to provide this information to customers and other manufacturers.

Please provide this information.

mjurgens03
Level 2

Its actually worse than what you think. I'd heard about TPG not working with 3rd party VOIP so I thought that I would just use their router for VOIP and that's all. I run my own router for Internet and this connects successfully to the TPG NBN. So I reconfigured the WAN port of their router to run on my LAN (just DHCP). The router started up and connected to the Internet (as my router provided a DHCP address to it and routed TPG router traffic to/from the Internet). To verify that the TPG router was indeed on the Internet I connected a laptop to the LAN port on TPG router and it worked fine. So from this I concluded that TPG router could access the Internet. However the phone service would not come up and the logs on TPG router were full of "SIP service terminated abnormally". I moved the TPG router to be connected directly to the NBN box and then it all worked.

So it appears that the TPG router SIP client, even if it can reach the Internet will not work unless it is THE router for the entire connection.

So now the only choices I have appear to be:

1) Use the TPG router as the main router - there are many good reasons why I want to run my own router

2) Switch to another provider - I could do this

3) Stop using a phone line via TPG - I could do this

4) TPG gives me the SIP details so I can use another 3rd party ATA - unlikely to happen

5) TPG fix their router so that it works as long as it can see the Internet - unlikely to happen

dvs
Level 3
Level 3

I gave up on using the TPG phone and just use a third party voip service, if they're not willing to give out the settings I'm unwilling to give them more money, I use a Fritz!box 7590 and before that a 7490 both which use dedicated DECT phones conected directly to the router, if I used the crappy TPG modem I would be unable to use the Fritz Fon handsets,and would have had to buy a whole new phone system, Mynetphone works well and for around the same price as I would have paid TPG, even though I'm happy with the Internet service, the fact that they won't give up the voip settings means I may move at the end of the current contract