TPG Community

Get online support

Voip Settings for VDSL

remektek
Level 2

@Len1234 wrote:

Hello Erika,

I am in complete agreement with SineNomine. I have been using TPG for many years with a Fritzbox 7390. Then the NBN comes along and I can no longer configure the telephone VOIP setting for the NBN embedded telephone service on my preferred modem. TPG provide some lame excuse that the configuration is embedded within their normally supplied substandard chinese modem firmware. It very well may be but that does not mean the VOIP settings cannot be extracted and provided to those who wish to use their own modem. The german manufacturers of the Fritzbox have indicated to me that TPG will not provide them with the configuration parameters for the embedded VOIP. Given that the configuration paramaters are not proprietary information, I believe that TPG has an obligation to provide this information to customers and other manufacturers.

Please provide this information.

I am in the same situation. I have been using a Fritz!Box 7490 (and 7390 before that) to provide me with superb DECT handset services, centralised phone book and VoIP for a MyNetFone number. Now I am on NBN100 Small Business (working from home). If I use the TPG modem then I can't get multi DECT handsets to work, so my only option has been to auto forward the TPG "Home" number to my MyNetFone VoIP number and use the Fritz!Box to log in to the NBN data service.

I wanted to try to port my number from TPG to MyNetFone, but the port request was denied (cost me $30 to try!!!), so I am screwed!

I agree that the TPG behavour is totally anti competative and has to be reported!

remektek
Level 2

@dvs wrote:

I gave up on using the TPG phone and just use a third party voip service, if they're not willing to give out the settings I'm unwilling to give them more money, I use a Fritz!box 7590 and before that a 7490 both which use dedicated DECT phones conected directly to the router, if I used the crappy TPG modem I would be unable to use the Fritz Fon handsets,and would have had to buy a whole new phone system, Mynetphone works well and for around the same price as I would have paid TPG, even though I'm happy with the Internet service, the fact that they won't give up the voip settings means I may move at the end of the current contract

I also have a 7490. Just wondering if the TPG TP-LINK VR1600v modem was placed in front of the Fritz, could I take the TPG modem's PSTN connector and plug that into the Fritz as a pretend landline???

BasilDV

Hi @remektek,

You may try to experiment with the setup, but we can't guarantee that it will work. Please refer to my response with your other comment on this link.

Should you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

newzbin001
Level 2

So the Chinese modems have "proprietory" firmware....This is code for "they are spying on you" and if you could access the settings, you'd find out, this is why you aren't allowed to know.  I think the simple solution is to avoid a company that is pushing Chinese equipment that is likely to contain spyware.

theexecutioner
Level 4

Could someone from TPG please explain why other providers (such as Aussie Broadband) provide a completely unlocked setup, while TPG hide behind locked, customised firmware, claiming it's 'security' underpinning the decision to do so? Specifically what is it about your locked, customised firmware that makes it more secure?

I mean surely you're doing security in a standard way, as defined in the SIP protocol so I am very curious what possible security justification there could be here?

Without evidence to the contrary, I'm thinking anti-competitive customer lock-in to be honest ... and I'm hoping this is something you can easily refute?

Cheers.

dantheman
Level 2

Same situation here.

Using my own modem.

Suggestion:

Either:

1) (If you want a landline) Buy a cheap GSM Phone dialer and get a cheap SIM card, plug into your phone. Divert your VOIP to this new SIM card. You willl be able to receive and make calls on your landline.

2) (If you don't need a landline) Divert your VOIP to your mobile phone

3) LEAVE TPG once your contract is up. I will be, I'm guessing so will a lot of customers.

Riezl

We're sorry to know that you're considering leaving TPG, @dantheman.

TPG had tailored the VR1600v firmware to fit TPG's specifications for numerous reasons. One of those involves the quality of service and the security of the VoIP, as this gives us a better opportunity to keep our customer's account and other credentials safe and secured.

With this being said, TPG would like to extend it's sincere apologies as we cannot provide the SIP settings.

In the event, for any technical reason if the TPG supplied modem-router hinders customers from obtaining their desired setup and/or outcome, customers may choose not to use it and/or purchase their own modem-router.

Be reminded that purchasing your own VDSL compatible modem-router and Internet may work given the right configurations but VoIP will not.

Should there be any issues with your internet connection, feel free to message us.

Joseph_D

@theexecutioner we cannot speak for any other provider, especially on the way that they designed their system or run their service.

I understand the inconvenience on your part of not being able to configure a different VOIP service on the TPG provided modem.

As advised by my colleague @Riezl TPG had tailored the VR1600v firmware to fit TPG's specifications for numerous reasons. One of those involves the quality of service and the security of the VoIP, as this gives us a better opportunity to keep our customer's account and other credentials safe and secured.

Another reason for this design on our system is faster or automated configuration of the connection's basic authentication setting, the prerequisite of this is that the modem should have sync, and you should be using the TPG issued modem/router. I understand that most people on this thread will have no issue with basic modem config, unfortunately this is not the case for everybody, and with the phone service tied to the internet connection, we believe that this feature is very important.

As also advised by @Riezl  above, we are not limiting you to use TPG supplied modem/router if the equipment and its settings hinder you from obtaining your desired set up, you may choose not to use it and/or purchase your own modem-router.

Please note that purchasing your own VDSL compatible modem-router, the Internet may work given the right configurations but VoIP will not.

Kind regards,

Joseph D

theexecutioner
Level 4

@Joseph_D wrote:

...As advised by my colleague @Riezl TPG had tailored the VR1600v firmware to fit TPG's specifications for numerous reasons. One of those involves the quality of service and the security of the VoIP, as this gives us a better opportunity to keep our customer's account and other credentials safe and secured.

Responseare you really suggesting that SIP is less secure on my new router simply because my current provider has the decency to allow me to enter my own username and password into a standard SIP configuration? Please enunciate for me what part of the SIP protocol is thus so incecure so as to justify your stance? Please include relevant references to papers or documentation to provide validation. Thanks.

Another reason for this design on our system is faster or automated configuration of the connection's basic authentication setting, the prerequisite of this is that the modem should have sync, and you should be using the TPG issued modem/router.

ResponseFaster how? Automated config? My current provider can spend a personalised 5 minutes guiding people to enter the router configuration - 3 settings later and it's done. So - faster? I think that's hard to justify. More automated? Perhaps - but the cost / benefit is hardly worth it.

I understand that most people on this thread will have no issue with basic modem config, unfortunately this is not the case for everybody, and with the phone service tied to the internet connection, we believe that this feature is very important.

Response: Answered above I think. This is a customer service issue, nothing more.

As also advised by @Riezl  above, we are not limiting you to use TPG supplied modem/router if the equipment and its settings hinder you from obtaining your desired set up, you may choose not to use it and/or purchase your own modem-router.

ResponseNot if I want to use your voip services right? Sure, internet ... but not VOIP - or has this changed? And you also miss the point that I PAID for that modem/router - which I can't now use anywhere else for VOIP because you've locked the firmware from allowing VOIP reconfiguration... unless you now do want to provide me the root password you're using??

Please note that purchasing your own VDSL compatible modem-router, the Internet may work given the right configurations but VoIP will not.

Response: Exactly.

Kind regards,

Joseph D

theexecutioner
Level 4

@dantheman wrote:

Same situation here.

Using my own modem.

Suggestion:

Either:

1) (If you want a landline) Buy a cheap GSM Phone dialer and get a cheap SIM card, plug into your phone. Divert your VOIP to this new SIM card. You willl be able to receive and make calls on your landline.

2) (If you don't need a landline) Divert your VOIP to your mobile phone

3) LEAVE TPG once your contract is up. I will be, I'm guessing so will a lot of customers.

Concur. No solution but these - and of course anyone leaving tpg will need to purchase a new modem to use voip with the new provider... a situation not lost to TPG's custom firmware decision I am sure...