TPG Community

Get online support

5g modem doesn't keep 5g signal

michaelmallett
Level 3

I am at the end of my trial and am finding the 5g service pretty disappointing. I have tried multiple positions in my apartment, currently I am settled with it next to the sliding glass doors of my apartment, which is 9 floors up and has no buildings next to it as I am next to a train line - completely unobstructed essentially.

Anyway, I can't get it to maintain a 5g signal. I restart the modem and it gets a full 5g signal, then some time after that it drops to orange 4g (full signal) and never goes back to green. Even for 4g the speeds are often very poor at all hours of the day (right now I'm on 10MB download on wired ethernet). If I restart it it will go back up to proper speeds on 5g

This happens when there is no sun on the modem, and there is no heat source nearby.

9 REPLIES 9
BasilDV

Hi @michaelmallett

We'd like to raise this to our Tech team to run further test on the network and perform further troubleshooting.

Shoot me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number.

BasilDV

tomh
Level 2

I have the same issue. 

I've tried following the troubleshooting steps in https://support.tpg.com.au/troubleshooting-5g-home-broadband-no-connection

I get 4 bars for the signal lights. They turn green for a few minutes and then become orange. The internet connection doesn't work.

Shane

Hi @tomh,

I responded to your initial post located here

Let us help see what causing issues with the service and get to the bottom of this, could you send us a PM with your details to better understand the connection.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

I have the same issue. 

I've tried following the troubleshooting steps in https://support.tpg.com.au/troubleshooting-5g-home-broadband-no-connection

I get 4 bars for the signal lights. They turn green for a few minutes and then become orange. The internet connection doesn't work.

michaelmallett
Level 3

Unfortunately after trying another modem, there is no improvement on this issue. I'd estimate i get the speed I'm paying or about1% of the time. I've never reached the theoretical maximum (and I have a speed test running every 5 minutes on a rpi3), and on average I get about 10mb/s. I've tried every part of the apartment, I've connected every device via switched ethernet. I restart the modem routinely. The network clearly just not ready in this area, no wonder other providers don't sell here.

I would appreciate going down to the lower tier, to save a measly $5 (and probably still not reach the advertised speed), and I would appreciate a further 1 month trial period to account for the time I've wasted on this.

BasilDV

Hi @michaelmallett

Do you mean you want to get the Home Wireless Broadband instead? 

If yes, please shoot me a PM with your preferred time and best number to be contacted for us to arrange a call from our Plan change team.

BasilDV

michaelmallett
Level 3

No, I mean going down from premium (lol) to regular 5g and seeing if that's worth it with this current modem. Your wireless top speed is only 20mb/s, so even the best I can hope for is not that great. 

Is it possible to do this via email or messaging? 

BasilDV

Hi @michaelmallett

Our team needs to speak to the account holder in order to process the changes.

BasilDV

michaelmallett
Level 3

I'll try to arrange something later when I can speak on the phone. In the meantime can you tell me what the notice period is to cancel my 5g contract please?

BasilDV

Hi @michaelmallett

The information is available here: Service Description and Terms – 5G Home Broadband

9. CANCELLING AND VARIATIONS

1. Either party may wish to terminate the service, by giving at least 7 days written notice (Notice period) to the other party. You must pay for charges for the Service up to the end of the Notice Period. If you terminate the service less than 7 days before your next billing anniversary date, you will still be charged for the next billing period. Any amounts already billed will not be refunded.
  2. You authorise us to charge all termination fees, including, but not limited to, any early termination charges to your credit card or direct debit account on receipt of your termination notice.
  3. If you cancel your plan within 36 months of connecting or if your order is withdrawn by us, you will need to return the 5G Home Broadband Modem in good working condition to us. If you do not return the modem within 21 days of your order being withdrawn or cancellation of your service, then you will be charged a modem non-return fee. This modem non-return fee covers the pro-rated cost of the TPG 5G Home Broadband Modem. The non-return fee is calculated as $17 multiplied by months remaining in the first 36 months e.g. if you leave after 24 months you would pay $17 x 12 (the number of remaining months), a total of $204.
  4. You may vary your Plan by:
    1. completing and submitting a new online application form located on My Account; or
    2. telephoning Customer Support and asking a customer service representative to complete the application form on your behalf.
  5. If you upgrade your Service, the change to your Service will take effect immediately. This will change the anniversary date of your billing cycle.
  6. If you downgrade your Service and the request is submitted:
    1. 7 days before the end of the current billing period, then it will take effect on the next billing period.
    2. within the last 7 days before end of the current billing period, then it will take effect on the billing period after your next one.
  7. If you vary your Service by using My Account referred to in clause 9.4(a), you are responsible for ensuring that the varied Service selected by you meets your requirements.

BasilDV