TPG Community

Get online support

Amazon Eero Mesh Compatibility

BasilDV

Hi @Hk_syd

Welcome to the Community!

We'd like to understand this further as you are using a third party device.

When the connection drops out, where you connected to the Eero or to the main modem/router?

You are correct, the connection type that we use is PPPoE and if you are under the NBN bundled service (FTTN/HFC/FTTB/FTTC), then VLAN tagging is required if you'll set up a third party device.

Kindly send me a PM with your TPG username or customer ID number to check on this further.

BasilDV

Hk_syd
Level 3

Hi BasilDV, I will PM you too and here are some more detail

1. Config: Tp-Link modem > Eero Router > Internet
  2. Yes when it droped in this setting. 
  3. When I had the Airport Extreme devices it dropped too but not as often but sometimes the Airport router will not get an IP.
  4. With te EERO
    1. Setup as a router directly connected to the modem. 
    2. No other device connected to modem
    3. Modem WiFi radios disabled
    4. Only EERO feeding other Ethernet devices and WiFi
    5. Uplink VLAN tagging option on under ISP settings with VLAD ID 2
    6. The connection dropped in th emorning and when I used this setting all day without it worked. 
    7. However, the following morning like clockwork the connection dropped.
    8. I then connected my main computer directly wit Ethernet to the modem and disconnected the EERO. I logged into the modem admin and saw it was disconnected and no IP was assigned to the computer. It then connected after 20 mins. 
    9. I reconnected the EERO then directly back to the modem and today again like yesterday it has been stable. Tomorrow will be another test.

BasilDV

Hi @Hk_syd

Thank you for the information.

Have you tried to factory reset the main modem/router? As you've advised that you weren't able to get an IP address even you are directly connected to it.

BasilDV

Hk_syd
Level 3
Yes and when I power cycle the modem it all comes back online.

For now the network is behaving - this is day 2 without interruption. With EERO setup with VLAN uplink with VLAN ID 2

I will watch for a few days and come back here.
BasilDV

This is noted @Hk_syd

Have a good day.

chalmers32
Level 2

I cant' seem to connect eero pro 6 to TPG modem Huawei HG569, have tried bridgning mode on modem and eero still can't find gateway connection. Any suggestions? 

Hk_syd
Level 3
It actually supports VLAN ID since firmware upgrade 6.6.0 and now also supports PPPoE after 6.6.1 upgrade.
_T_
Level 2
Level 2
Hey Hk_syd
I got the exact same set up with you, got the TPlink vr1600v from TPG and bought a set of eero 6.
Connected eero to the tplink and the network is working. Since you talked about the firmware upgrade, I just wonder if you are able to skip the TPlink modem and connect the eero directly to the black box?
Cheers
breegolf1988
Level 2
Hey man,

Just bought the Eero 6 Mesh kit x3, wondering how you went about setting it up? Any help extremely appreciated!
Hk_syd
Level 3
Hi.

No the Eero is not meant to replace your tplink router/modem. Cos the eero is not a modem.

The eero router should be the only connection from tplink modem.

Black box > tplink > Eero.

Then everything and every device should be connected via eero. As it does the routing and dishes out IPs.