TPG Community

Get online support

Archer C1200 WiFi connectivity slow

SOLVED Go to solution
polster74
Level 3

Hi. My Archer C1200 has become noticeably slow on WiFi. 

I recently connected my WiFi to a Eufy 2C four camera wireless Security system. The WiFi slow down happened around the same time (coincidence?) but was affected even when the homebase was connected via ethernet. I turned the system off while fault finding and there didn't seem to be any change.

Speed tests still indicate approximately 38 Mbps down and 13 Mbps up, but my computer is laggy and connections to iPhones, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick are all slower than they have been (slow to stream and at a lower quality).

Firmware version: 1.0.0    Build: 20170802 rel.81832 (EU)    Hardware Version: Archer C1200 v1.0

Is there a firmware update that may help this? Any settings on the router that should be changed?

I have another router available. Would the use of a second router help my situation? If so, how would this be connected/configured?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
polster74
Level 3

I bought a TP-Link AV1000 Powerline AC Wi-Fi kit (TL-WPA7510 KIT) and plugged my Security system into the ethernet port. I also plugged a couple of other devices (including my Apple TV 4K) directly into the ethernet ports on my router to reduce the load on the Wi-Fi.

My Wi-Fi network issues all seem to be resolved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
david64
Level 15

Only guessing here!

All the knowledge seems to be in the app you use to configure.

You could use the wifi of the second router to connect the cameras. The base station would be cabled to router. It would have its own ssid and security. You need a different wifi channel from your main router (channel 1 or 6 or 11). If this router acts as a switch, video data is kept off your main router. 

Will you be wanting to access this from the internet? If not, it's just a standalone wifi network.

If you do, then disable dhcp and assign fixed ip addresses (in the same range as your main router; these will be 10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.1) to cameras and base station. Those addresses may need to be replicated in the main router. Connect the two routers together via a lan port. (Not too sure about this.) Still a problem with not having a fixed external ip address.

On the other hand, access from the internet may be done via the eufy website. The base station does need an internet connection so it may make a connection to eufy so it can respond to your requests sent through eufy website.

polster74
Level 3

Sounds a little confusing, but I'll give it a crack over theweekend.

Cheers

david64
Level 15

Does the base station have its own wifi network (another SSID) that might have been interfering with the wifi network of your main router, either the same band or same channel (1,6,11)? Changing channel might fix the slowdown.

Have you had the security system fully functional on your main router-cameras recording on the base station and you able to access the video remotely from your mobile phone? It might be interesting to look at the data statistics from the router. Disable other wifi devices so you can see just the cameras working. Have them record activity in your house, then have them record a static image and see if the data traffic reduces (if they are smart cameras, they won't send unchanging video). Then check the wan traffic if you access the video remotely.

There's a good article to read on m.wikihow.com. Search for "connect one router to another".

It's a bit blow by blow and you can skip part 1.

In part 2 (second router), things to note:

disable dhcp;

assign a new ip address on same subnet as main router, and same subnet mask;

use a different SSID from your main router (in the article, they are trying to extend their main router; you want to make a new wifi network); configure the cameras with the new SSID;

make sure the default gateway is the address of the main router (if the base station tries to connect out, the second router needs to know the ip address of the main router).

On the main router, reserve the ip addresses that you chose for the second router, cameras and base station so they can't be used by the main router.

Connect the routers lan port 1 to lan port 1 (although it doesn't matter which lan ports are used).

When its all running, check the wifi traffic on the main router to see that the cameras are isolated.

polster74
Level 3

I popped into JB Hi-Fi yesterday and noticed a chart on one of the boxes outlining different AC specification recommendations and that AC1200 is for light use only. I then found this on the net: "AC1200 can be used for light streaming and gaming, however if you have some heavy traffic inside your home (between home devices such as your TV and your streaming media box) we suggest you to go with AC2200 and above."

Am I better off purchasing a higher AC spec router (and would it be easier to set up)? We have >10 different devices connect to my WiFi and regularly stream movies/TV on multiple devices at once; generally at least 1080P reolution minimum. 

If so, does anyone recommend one? Would it be easy to set up (knowing that the TPG supplied model was preset)?

polster74
Level 3

I spent a few hours on this over the weekend and couldn't get the second router to connect to the internet.

I read the m.wikihow.com article, which seemed pretty straight forward, and watched numerous Youtube videos.

Unfortunately, I could see the new router on my devices, but couldn't get them to connect to the internet.

I've spent enough time on this now.

I have connected the security camera homebase via ethernet and that has helped somewhat (the cameras connect to the homebase wirelessly; and the homebase then connects to the internet via the router).

I'll consider a better router sometime in the future.

Thanks david64

polster74
Level 3

I bought a TP-Link AV1000 Powerline AC Wi-Fi kit (TL-WPA7510 KIT) and plugged my Security system into the ethernet port. I also plugged a couple of other devices (including my Apple TV 4K) directly into the ethernet ports on my router to reduce the load on the Wi-Fi.

My Wi-Fi network issues all seem to be resolved.