TPG Community

Get online support

Archer VR1600v V2 Backup Settings

heich
Level 3

To whom it may concirn

I have just received my new TP-LINK Archer VR1600v V2 modem and I am concirned there is no Backup Utility on this device, my old Huawei HG695 which this modem replaced definitely had a back up utility and I found it to be very usefull when something went horibbly wrong and I had to restore the settings to my specifications. I find it very hard to understand why it's not there as the User Guide Clearly states that it's under SYSTEM TOOLS but as the attached picture shows it's not there. Can someone please reasure me that it will be implemented in an upgrade and ASAP. I'm sure there are many out there with this same modem that are scratching their heads in disbelief. Come on TPG pull your heads out of the sand.

Very disgruntled customer.

2 REPLIES 2
Shane

Hi @heich,

Our supplied Archer VR1600v modem/router does not support backup configuration.  We are sorry if the equipment we supplied to you is not to your complete satisfaction. We will take into consideration the enabling of these features in future updates.

Regards,

To whom it may concirn

I have just received my new TP-LINK Archer VR1600v V2 modem and I am concirned there is no Backup Utility on this device, my old Huawei HG695 which this modem replaced definitely had a back up utility and I found it to be very usefull when something went horibbly wrong and I had to restore the settings to my specifications. I find it very hard to understand why it's not there as the User Guide Clearly states that it's under SYSTEM TOOLS but as the attached picture shows it's not there. Can someone please reasure me that it will be implemented in an upgrade and ASAP. I'm sure there are many out there with this same modem that are scratching their heads in disbelief. Come on TPG pull your heads out of the sand.

Very disgruntled customer.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Shane . When TP-Link produced the VR1600, they included a backup/restore function (like all other manufacturers). The programmer who did the customised code for TPG was either directed to take it out (why?) or it was taken out because there was insufficient memory to support your encrypted VOIP code. With the recent removal of the VPN function, there ought to be enough room to reinstate the backup/restore. The backup doesn't backup the firmware, so your customised code is safe from inspection. Factory reset is a favourite technique for trying to resolve any router problem so all user changes are lost. Most users would not be affected too much but there is a large number of settings that some users might have: admin password, local/remote management, address reservations, port forwarding, parental controls, SSID names/passwords, etc.