TPG Community

Get online support

Archer vr1600v intermittently not obtaining IP address

SOLVED Go to solution
adut
Level 2

Hi All,

I recently subscribed to TPG HFC NBN, somehow every now and then internet stops working.

Tested with mobile phone, wifi signal full and connected but not getting any internet connection. If wifi options been turned off and on again then the error message is "unable to obtain IP"

The only current solution is to restart the router. It also seems when tried to connect to the router web configuration page also takes a long time to connect/login/open page. Sometimes when try to save a configuration or open advance tab it will pop out an error message and then that  "unable to obtain IP" issue happen again and router need to be restarted.

My current firmware version is Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 190228 Rel.72265n.

Anyone having the same problem and can provide solution?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
adut
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV,

I found the problem and solution for this issue.

The router blocked the device that is using a high bandwith eg. when my PC is downloading game file and using the highest bandwith. Then i have to restart my router.

Somehow i go and check firewall&Dos protection page under advance and security. I found that my affected device was blocked.

At that time the protection level for ICMP, UDP, and TCP flood was set to medium and i never change the values of the protection level (since i don't know what is the best value for my network preference)

Then tested by changed it to low and it still also persist.

So by disabling DoS protection solved my problem.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Welcome to TPG Community @adut

Wireless interference can cause various issues with your WiFi network. If all of your devices connected to via WiFi are affected, then you may need to change some wireless settings. We've created an article that will guide you on How to improve your home network.

Your modem currently has the latest firmware available.

BasilDV

adut
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV ,

Thanks for replying my post.

My wifi channels and signals are good and the channels are far apart.

The problem that i have when it happen is suddenly i have no internet connection (not only wifi connection but also with LAN connection). When tried to disconnect and re-connect wifi devices it won't connect and error mesage (on android device) is unable to obtain IP. 

The current solution/workaround is to restart the router manually by pressing the on/off switch. 

When i tried to restart it via the router web portal (via LAN connection) sometimes it give me an error pop out and then i'm no longer able to connect to router web portal. Another common issue is evey time i try to connect to router web portal it is slow to open the login page, clicking any of the options on the portal  also slow but couple of times chrome pops out error do you want to wait or kill the page because of the page is too long to open.

This issue is random but occurs quite frequently. It can be few days after restart or a week or 2 weeks.

Before moving to TPG HFC NBN i'm using my own ADSL modem and this issue never occurs to me.

Opening and logging in to modem's web portal is quick and i have no "unable to obtain IP" issue.

I hope you can shed some light with what caused my problem.

Thanks

BasilDV

Hi @adut

Thanks for your response via PM and glad that the connection is working fine as of the moment.

If the issue persists, factory reset the modem/router to start fresh and reconfigure the settings. Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

adut
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV ,

It happened again in past 3 weeks, and i did factory reset the modem and re-configure it again for 2 times.

First i tought because of 1 device sucking up all of the bandwith and i did set the download limit to 47800Kbps and upload by default (19800Kbps), but still it does not help. Since it just happened randomly.

I'm not really sure what caused this problem and i'm clueless and thinking this might be hardware issue.

When i was still subscribed to TPG ADSL 2+ with my own modem, this problem never happen to me.

Thanks

Adut

adut
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV,

I found the problem and solution for this issue.

The router blocked the device that is using a high bandwith eg. when my PC is downloading game file and using the highest bandwith. Then i have to restart my router.

Somehow i go and check firewall&Dos protection page under advance and security. I found that my affected device was blocked.

At that time the protection level for ICMP, UDP, and TCP flood was set to medium and i never change the values of the protection level (since i don't know what is the best value for my network preference)

Then tested by changed it to low and it still also persist.

So by disabling DoS protection solved my problem.

Thanks