TPG Community

Get online support

BYO modem recommendations

mdeh
Level 2

Hi there, I have an NBN Cable Broadband SL plan with the "iconic" Archer VR1600v modem/router.

I have a Google Mesh connected to it, but I have what I believe is a double NAT issue.

Getting the Archer VR1600v into bridge mode seems more trouble than it's worth, so I'm interested in hearing any recommendations people have on a decent BYO modem I could buy that is compatible with my plan.

Bonus points if it supports some form of VLAN-ing (I currently have my primary PC wired to the Archer to segment it from the Google Mesh that acts as the common house network)

4 REPLIES 4
BasilDV

Hi @mdeh 

Check the article that we've created that may provide you some ideas.

List of Non-TPG supplied Modem/Routers for use with TPG NBN BYO Data Only Plans

Let us know how it goes.

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @mdeh . Are you on FTTB or FTTN? It is easy enough to put Archer in bridge mode doing the VLAN work. The Google operates in standard mode; its WAN port connected to Archer LAN port.

If FTTP, the Google should just connect, since VLAN is not used.

If FTTC or HFC, it might be possible to put the Archer's WAN port into bridge mode. With Build 220518, that option does exist. Whether it works is another thing. Google works as above.

mdeh
Level 2

Hi @david64, thanks for your response!

I have HFC and the modem has Build 220518. I came across this article, so I assume Step 2 is what I need to do. The current connection has VLAN ID set as 2, so I assume I would need to mirror that in the bridged connection I create instead of following Step 6.

2024-03-04 10_33_12-Archer VR1600v and 4 more pages - Personal - Microsoft​ Edge.png

If you have any other advice, I'd be happy to hear it. Thanks!

david64
Level 15

@mdeh . You have to Disconnect the ewan_pppoe interface, then connect the new bridge interface. It may not be necessary to delete the existing ewan_pppoe interface.

The VLAN is 2 and 802.1p value is 0.

The Google is set to PPPoE with username and password.

The odd thing in their example is that the C7 is doing vlan, not the bridge router.