TPG Community

Get online support

Connecting VR1600 modem to d-link router

wongchichung
Level 2

Hi there, 

I am using the FTTB service. I connected my d-link router and tp-link modem, the router detected the internect connection and it worked fine for a while until the router updated its firmware and ask for the name of the ISP and whether they provided me a user name and passward (i supsect it is for the pppoe). I typed in my username and passward as provided (the same one i used to login my tpg account) and my internet since then would not go through the d-link router. I try to reset the router and make it ask less questions, but it seems that the firmware update is irreversable. Thanks for helping. 

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Level 15

Could you upload a picture showing how you have the boxes connected together.

wongchichung
Level 2

There you go. The black one is the router. 

david64
Level 15

You have 2 wifi routers there.

On the white box, does the telephone cord in the DSL port go to the wall socket?

What lights are lit on the white box?

Did you get any other box for your FTTB connection-a white box with 4 blue lights?

wongchichung
Level 2

This white box is a AC1600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit VoIP VDSL/ADSL Modem Router connected to the DSL port with the telephone cord. DSL light is on, internet light is on and WIFI light is on. Everything is working perfectly on the white box. No other box (or modem) is recieved from TPG. 

david64
Level 15

So, your ethernet and wifi devices can access the internet if they connect through the white Archer?

Do you want to use the black router to extend the wifi range of the Archer?

There are configuration changes to be done on the black router to make that work.

wongchichung
Level 2

Yes, I can acess the interenet if the device is connected to the Acrher's wifi. I want the archer to be the modem and connect to the black router so i can utilise the data processing on the new router.

david64
Level 15

Are you using the VOIP phone function with your NBN connection? If not, you could just use the black router by itself if it has the DSL telephone connector. If you do use the phone function, you need the Archer as the main router with the phone.

There's any number of articles on the internet describing how to connect two routers together. They vary slightly depending on your actual requirements. There are posts in community because several users are trying this. What is the model of the black router?

https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Routers

wongchichung
Level 2

The black router is D-link EXO AC1900 SMART MESH WI-FI ROUTER