TPG Community

Get online support

Connecting a range extender to new moderm

jcatcmc
Level 2

I am trying to connect a newly  supplied replacement router  ( VX220-G2v  ) to a TP link TL -WA850RE range extender    No luck , are these compatible?

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @jcatcmc 

What steps have you tried to connect the range extender?

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

@jcatcmc . What was the solution here?

jcatcmc
Level 2

Hi,   I tried the simplest first pressing the WPS button on the router  ( LED doesn't indicate on the router ) then pressing the range extender button  ( the RE led flashes for about a minute then  nothing .   AS I had long lost the password for the previous Tether app I deleted it and reinstalled it but it searched for devices and only found a modem ( no details given )   I then tried http://tplinkmodem.net but its locking me out on password issues with no apparent way to reset password    ( Jeez, why has it all have to be so complicated !! ? ) 

jcatcmc

david64
Level 15

@jcatcmc . Login to router admin and check that WPS is enabled. It might be off by default.

Check that the 2.4G and 5G have different SSID names and that Band Steering (if available) is off. The RE is only 2.4G capable.

jcatcmc
Level 2

Thanks for the reply David,   Being a 75 year old non techno nerd I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.  ( the log in to router admin part )    jcatcmc

BasilDV

Hi @jcatcmc 

We can arrange a call from our Tech team to assist you.

Kindly send me a PM with your account details.

BasilDV