TPG Community

Get online support

Dead NBN modem after storm

ChrisWalsh
Level 3
My NBN modem has died after a storm came through last night.
I have another NBN modem which powers up but doesn’t connect.
Can I register that MAC address, or do I need a new modem sent out?
5 REPLIES 5
Ahra_G

Hi @ChrisWalsh,

Each equipment has their own unique serial/MAC address and there's a possibility that it may not work even after changing it. 

Recent update on your account indicated that there's a fault lodged and a tech visit is set on Wednesday, 16 February 2022 between 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM. 

You may reply to the SMS sent by our Engineering team for any further queries or concern you have. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

My NBN modem has died after a storm came through last night.
I have another NBN modem which powers up but doesn’t connect.
Can I register that MAC address, or do I need a new modem sent out?
ChrisWalsh
Level 3
Thanks.

Are you able to update the serial and/or Mac to match the replacement?
Ahra_G

Hi @ChrisWalsh, If the modem is deemed faulty and needs to be replaced, we simply send out a new one. 

Updating the serial number/MAC will not resolve the type of issue that you have at the moment. 

Thanks.

Are you able to update the serial and/or Mac to match the replacement?
ChrisWalsh
Level 3
Sorry, I think you have misunderstood.

I have two modems.
The current modem died during a storm. I replaced this with the older modem which powers up, but doesn’t connect to the connect. This modem would need to be registered onto the network to authenticate. Are you able to do that, or is NBN technician required?
Ahra_G

Hi @ChrisWalsh,

Since you have a NBN HFC service, you have 2 types of equipment: One is the NBN NTD and the other is the modem/router.

The serial number/MAC address cannot be updated/modified as they are unique and assigned for each equipment. 

Recent update on the lodged fault showed that the job has been completed today; remote tests also showed that your internet is now working. 

Should you require further assistance, you may reach out to us again or you may check out our self-help options located here: http://tpg.com.au/support

Cheers!