TPG Community

Get online support

Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on the Sagemcom fast 5866T 5G modem

SOLVED Go to solution
kindness744
Level 2

Im trying to set my chromecast up, accordiong to this post i need to  do  the following below, But i can not locate this setting in the modem, Can someone please direct me to where tjhis is located in the settings on my  SAGEMCOM FAST 5866T 5G MODEM

Chromecast AP Disable

Step 1: Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router
- Your wi-fi network configuration preventsdevices from communicating with Chromecast. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to disable AP (access point) isolation, also known as client isolation, on your router. Please refer to your router documentation to learn how to disable AP isolation.
- If you do not have access to your router settings, or if you are attempting to connect theough a guest, hotel or public network with AP/client isolation, you will be unable to set up your Chromecast.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shane

Hi @kindness744,

Shoot us a PM with your details so we can arrange our Technical Team to contact you to help us setup the chromecast. How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Im trying to set my chromecast up, accordiong to this post i need to  do  the following below, But i can not locate this setting in the modem, Can someone please direct me to where tjhis is located in the settings on my  SAGEMCOM FAST 5866T 5G MODEM

Chromecast AP Disable

Step 1: Disable Access Point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router
- Your wi-fi network configuration preventsdevices from communicating with Chromecast. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to disable AP (access point) isolation, also known as client isolation, on your router. Please refer to your router documentation to learn how to disable AP isolation.
- If you do not have access to your router settings, or if you are attempting to connect theough a guest, hotel or public network with AP/client isolation, you will be unable to set up your Chromecast.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Shane

Hi @kindness744,

Shoot us a PM with your details so we can arrange our Technical Team to contact you to help us setup the chromecast. How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Chromecast AP Disable

Level 2

Hi Shane,

I have the same issue as above. I tried to send you a PM but clicked on your name and the option to send you a PM did not appear.

The link to the original item is: https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Disable-Access-Point-AP-isolation-also-known-as-C... 

Robert

bradstix
Level 3

Hi @Shane I am having the same issue with disabling the AP on my Sagemcom 5866T modem 5G
I am also having issues with casting from Pixel and Samsung phones to Chromecasts and Android TV and I have the same router.
Cheers,
Brad

BasilDV

Hi @bradstix

We'd like to check on this further.

Kindly send us a PM with your account details.

BasilDV

bradstix
Level 3

As the Sagemcom Fast 5866T 5G modem is unable to have AP Isolation turned off in it's settings - the solution for me here was to just connect another router with the same SSID and PW that all my devices recognised, and connected the new TP Link router from the LAN of the Sagemcom to the WAN of the TP Link. The TP Link had AP Isolation turned off as default in the settings, so all my Google Chromecast, Android TV, Home Mini were all accessible to cast to from smart phones for YouTube, Google Photos, Spotify etc etc

The router I have connected is the TP Link Archer C24 AC750 model.

A big thank you to @BasilDV for all the support in investigating the Sagemcom settings!

joesmwong
Level 2

It does not consider an issue resolved. 

Is it a neat solution? No need to have another AP setup just to solve this issue?\

@bradstix wrote:

As the Sagemcom Fast 5866T 5G modem is unable to have AP Isolation turned off in it's settings - the solution for me here was to just connect another router with the same SSID and PW that all my devices recognised, and connected the new TP Link router from the LAN of the Sagemcom to the WAN of the TP Link. The TP Link had AP Isolation turned off as default in the settings, so all my Google Chromecast, Android TV, Home Mini were all accessible to cast to from smart phones for YouTube, Google Photos, Spotify etc etc

The router I have connected is the TP Link Archer C24 AC750 model.

A big thank you to @BasilDV for all the support in investigating the Sagemcom settings!

BasilDV

Hi @joesmwong 

The AP Isolation on the settings of the provided modem/router.

The Sagemcom modem/router only supports the WPA2-WPA3 security mode. If a device is not compatible with the said security, then they'll have problems connecting to the modem/router.

Which is why using a spare router that can be used as an access point will help resolve the issue in connecting old or devices that are not compatible with WPA2-WPA3 security.

BasilDV

Maggy
Level 2
Hi there, I had same problem with my Chromecast 2nd Gen suddenly not working with the 5G SAGEMCOM FAST 5866T modem....you can't disable the AP Isolation on this modem.

But you can activate one of the Guest Networks through the Online Dashboard (username/password on bottom of modem). The Guest Network section is at the bottom of the dashboard homepage. If you turn on ONLY a 2ghz Guest network, then reset your Chromecast, and then connect the chromecast to this Guest network, it will connect to the 2ghz band only, and not the 5G as default. Note, the Guest network has a different password which is displayed on the dashboard page. If you connect your phone/tablet to the same Guest network as chromecast, the chromecast icons and functionality will appear in your apps!

It's not ideal to have to switch to the Guest network, but it's meant I can use my chromecast again...hurray!
Mark14
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV  [my reply has been edited]

Thanks for your help here but I am sorry to say I disagree with your summary.

First of all, the problem is not "SOLVED". If it was solved, you would have given a solution and we could use our networks the same as we did before this happened (approx 6 weeks ago). Please change the status back to "OPEN" and please progress with Technical Support to have the problem fixed. 

The AP Isolation on the settings of the provided modem/router.

You haven't finished the sentence above. What about the setting? At present it seems to be set "enabled" and there's no way to disable it. Please ask Technical Support to allow us access to this setting, because it appears to be causing a problem.

The Sagemcom modem/router only supports the WPA2-WPA3 security mode. If a device is not compatible with the said security, then they'll have problems connecting to the modem/router.

Wrong. The security mode is "WPA2/WPA3". That means it must work for WPA2 devices. But it does not, so the implementation in your firmware is not correct. My devices are of course WPA2 and they did work up until your most recent firmware release. They also work with any other WiFi router. Please ask Technical Support to fix this problem with your modem.

Yes, it's true if a device does not support either WPA2 or WPA3 then it won't work. But I'd say all our devices are at least WPA2 and they should work with WPA2/WPA3. Some of my devices are WPA2 and they did work up until your most recent firmware release. They also work with any other WiFi router. It seems the implementation in your recent firmware is not correct. Please ask Technical Support to fix this problem with your modem.

Which is why using a spare router that can be used as an access point will help resolve the issue

As above, this is not the correct solution. Telling your customers to buy new hardware when your own is not fit for the advertised purpose is breaking Fair Trading laws.

@joesmwong you are completely correct to question @BasilDV 's response when you say: 

It does not consider an issue resolved.