FTP slow

chrisdiprose
Level 2

We organised an update to our VR1600v V2 router firmware only a couple of days ago, and ever since then our FTP downloads have slowed to a crawl .. 

Speed test and we're getting good speed but FTP and its so slow .. 

- I've tested FTP from 2 different sources/servers in very different parts of the World with similar slow speed results (see attached)

- I've restarted the nbn modem + router/wifi (initially was quicker on reboot but slows to a crawl in a few minutes)

- I've spoken to your support team, who did line tests and the call was disconnected - unsure if any outcome was found

3 REPLIES 3
Ahra_G

Hi @chrisdiprose

Does this happen on a specific time? Is the FTP server dedicated or shared?

No line faults detected so we may need to check for any underlying connection issue. 

Thanks! 

Ahra_G

david64
Level 15

Hi @chrisdiprose . What type of NBN connection do you have?

Are you using ethernet computer or wifi device for the ftp?

Can you use the speed test on TPG support page. Do it a few times.

What speeds do you get? Does each graph proceed smoothly?

The TPG test should give best iindication of your connection speed.

(The ping times are quite high in the speed test results you provided.)

Do you know the host names or ip addresses of the ftp servers?

Can you do   ping   and   tracert   to them. 

chrisdiprose
Level 2

I can 100% confirm that the modem firmware update was the likely cause - given the VR1600v is controlled by TPG exclusively, I am very disappointed.  I asked for the firmware update from TPG (as the firmware was 2+ years old), but they completely toasted all FTP speed in the firmware update, to the point it was unusable/pointless.

I changed out the modem, put in a VR2100v (not managed by TPG) and the FTP speeds are excellent.  Getting about ~30 mb/s download.

Archer VR1600v v2.

As of 2022-09-18 >>
Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n
Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

As of 2022-09-19 >>
Firmware Version:0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 220518 Rel.32480n
Hardware Version:Archer VR1600v v2.0 00000000

If you're on the latter firmware, experiencing super slow FTP, then it could be because of the firmware.