TPG Community

Get online support

Google Nest Wifi mesh points going offline

sdkhot
Level 2

Hi,

I have tried various solutions over the past few months and not been able to resolve the issue of google wifi mesh points going offline, almost every 48 hours or so. Could anyone help with what setting would help as I am on NBN FTTN with IINet (gateway is  tp link VX420-G2h V1) and get 50mbps top speed in our area here in Canningvale, WA. 

Thanks,

sdkhot

8 REPLIES 8
david64
Master

@sdkhot . When mesh units go offline, any change to DSL or Internet lights on VX420? If either go off, there is a problem in external network. Check the VX420 System Log. Call iiNet.

If they stay on, can a device connected directly to VX420 or its wifi still access internet?

When mesh units go offline, for how long?

Do they recover or do you do something?

sdkhot
Level 2
The internet service from the gateway isn't affected, only the points for google nest wifi go off-line. They need a reboot to fix them. This is a common issue and bridge mode for the gateway is recommended by other sites and blogs. But the current gateway doesn't allow bridge mode.
david64
Master

@sdkhot . So, you have a Google nest router unit cabled to VX420 and nest wifi units.

The Google router unit should ne configured as an access point and have DHCP and NAT functions disabled.

When the Google units go offline, does that include the Google router as well?

If you want to put VX420 into bridge mode, you can try the following. In bridge mode, nothing else on VX420 works. VOIP phone does not work.

The following is specific for TPG and their VLAN ID requirements. iiNet may have different requirements. When you define the bridge connection, use whatever VLAN value is currently used.

Following are instructions to put Archer VR1600 in bridge mode but they might be relevant to the VX420.

To put Archer in bridge mode, basically delete the DSL connection with vlan id 2 and add new connection.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

The settings for your own router are:

PPPoE, username and password.

sdkhot
Level 2
Thank you for your advice,
But I don't seem to have any access to bridge mode on the gateways tplink page, only limited options available. And when the mesh points loose internet the main google nest wifi router stays on line no issues with it.
david64
Master

@sdkhot . When you contacted Google support, did you make the point that the Google router functions properly and the mesh points have a problem? The Google router should act as a gateway to the mesh units. Are there any messages in the VX420 System Log when mesh units go offline?

Another TPG user put their VX420 into bridge mode using those instructions. Does the iiNet version resemble the TPG screenshot in the link? 

Do you have an interface pppoe_ptm_2_0_d? You might have to disconnect it first in order to delete it. 

You can attach a screenshot of your VX420 defining the bridge connection.

sdkhot
Level 2

Capture.JPG

Above is the screen shot, no options anywhere for bridge mode, I guess its because of NBN FTTN.

david64
Master

@sdkhot . Look in Advanced, Network, DSL. You have to Disconnect or Disable the interface you saw in status display, then delete it, and add a new interface in Bridge mode.

sdkhot
Level 2
Thanks for the assistance David,
Will give it a try this weekend. Will keep it posted here. Hope it resolves my current issue.