HG659 Firmware

L_user
Level 3

Gday. I have the HG659-13 modem router, and I need to receive the firmware file, preferably in ".Bin" format from you guys. It doesnt matter if its the latest version or any other, I just need that firmware as soon as is allowable so I can get my router working again. It doesn't matter how I get it but atm email seems most feasible.

I had been on the phone to huawei about it and they informed me they dont have it and to get a hold of the "service provider", in this case TPG. (iinet does not provide the firmware either). I spoke to a tech support rep from TPG as well and they said to post my question here. Ive noticed from previous posts that you guys do in fact have it and it is available. Since so many people are asking about it perhaps as a suggestion you could make it available to download from this website.

Thank you.

15 REPLIES 15
Shane

Hi @L_user,

Thanks for reaching out. I would love to help. I tried to use your community details to pull up the account but no match.

Kindly PM me your account details (Username/Customer ID or Contact number associated with the account).

Regards,

Riezl

Hi @L_user, may we also know where did you purchase the HG659-13 Modem Router?

L_user
Level 3

So Im afraid to report that I don't in fact have an account with TPG. I do have one with iiNet however if that helps. I received this device from a friend, and its fully working, apart from that firmware, I'd hate to have to throw it out over what could be extremely easy to fix. I can get into firmware recovery mode just fine too. It just has the wrong firmware flashed on it atm, and the ONLY way I can get it is from you guys. So I'm kind of relying on you here.

I hope that illustrates my situation a bit better but if there's anything still unclear don't hesitate to ask. If you don't in fact have the firmware on your back end system available, then please let me know.

BasilDV

Hi @L_user,

Thank you for the information. We'd like to look into your iiNet account. Please shoot me a private message of your username or other iiNet account details.

Here's a link on how to send a PM in the community.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

Hi  @L_user,

We've checked your iiNet account and learned that you have an ADSL connection. TPG does not support the HG659 modem on ADSL, only NBN or FTTB.

We are not able to e-mail or upload firmware updates. If you live near our office in North Ryde you can come into our warehouse, and we could update the firmware to support the correct NBN or FTTB service type.

Were you able to use the HG659 modem on an ADSL service before? Or is it your first time to use it? What exactly is the problem of the firmware of the modem? Are you able to provide us the error message that you are receiving?

Kind regards,

L_user
Level 3

I am in fact using the modem just fine with my ADSL connection. And it is working, so it would seem, with the firmware thats on it, which happens to be from this ISP company: Spark New Zealand - their binary firmware file was on the web available for download - Just a quick word on the topic of connection types, this is an DSL modem, and my phone line is plugged into the port marked DSL. I might submit it never hurts to think outside the box  Most modern routers can be used with both ADSL and NBN connections with just a little tweaking, in fact I didn't have to change any settings to use this with my current ADSL connection. To use it with NBN, you would need a cable modem, (such as the popular Arris CM8200) plug it into the router and put the router into bridge mode I believe (and perhaps a few other settings).

But technically its the wrong firmware. and since Im in Australia, and especially so since Im with iiNet, I just felt it could potentially work better and be more secure if it had aussie firmware on it. The only place I can get that from is TPG, and if I had any other option atm, believe me Id be exploring that by now.

I don't live anywhere near North Ryde Im afraid. Even if I could they'd probably just laugh at me and wonder what the hell Im doing. Surprised you can't email it. If its physically impossible to somehow send it to me any other way, then maybe its time to call this case closed

BasilDV

Hi @L_user.

TPG's firmware updates are given to our customer's modem/routers remotely via the network servers.

As advised above the firmware that we currently have for your particular modem is for NBN & TPG FTTB only.

We appreciate that you raised this case with us. May you have a great day.

Kind regards,

L_user
Level 3

I can assure you my friend, it definitely will still work, even with the NBN firmware you were referring to earlier, with perhaps just a few settings to tweak.

Are you sure theres just no way to send me the .bin file? (theyre usually relatively small files).

Hypothetically if it didn't work, I could easily just go back to the spark firmware

Erika

Hi @L_user

Our technical team will only send the customized TPG firmware to the modems directly by using their MAC Address and authentication credentials via TPG network.