TPG Community

Get online support

HG659 unstable wi-fi

mjhooper58
Level 2

My wi-fi is unstable , and becomes unuseable on some devices . Rebooting the router,solves the problem for a short time . Is there a firmware fix for this problem . I have inserted the devices details

HG659
Device ID:
00E0FC-J3N8W17527006876
Hardware version:
VER.B
Software version:
V100R001C216B112
Your help would be appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
orbistat
Level 8

Hi @mjhooper58 I'm also running a HG659 on the same V100R001C216B112 firmware as you and find it rock solid on both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

I've got a few iOS devices and a couple of Androids connected with no dropouts, I have'nt rebooted my router for over 100 days, what sort of problems are you having and on what type of devices and on which band?

There is a newer version of firmware although the only change from your current version is for SNTP (time settings).

The following is a good guide for improving your WiFi

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

Ken
Level 3
Level 3

MJ

I'm having a similar problem with our HG659. Couple of our phones and a tablet have frequent loss of wifi. The phone/tablet will show a connection to the router with no internet connection.

I've done a hard reset and checked all the settings. Problem keeps reoccurring.

So, I'm following this thread with interest.

Ken

Shane

Hi @Ken,

Have you tried checking these articles?

Let me know how it will go.

Cheers!

Ken
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks Shane,

The "how to improve" reference doesn't really relate to my situation. The devices can connect to the HG659, but it is not then being connected through to the internet.

I've checked the wifi channel settings. 2.4G was set to auto. My wifi analyser showed that it was using channel 2 which overlaps another wifi that is on channel 1. So I've now set the 2.4G to channel 6. I've left 5G on Auto.

Again, I'm not sure whether channel setting was really the issue because the devices could connect to the router, just not the internet; and the issue occurred on both 2.4G and 5G.

Cheers

Ken

Shane

Thanks for additional details @Ken.

I tried to use your Community Details to pull up the account and I got multiple match.

Kindly PM me your  account details (Username/Customer ID or contact number associated with the account) and I'll run initial tests on your connection.

Regards,

Shane

Thanks for sending me your details @Ken,

I will run initial tests on your connection and provide you an update once the test is done.

Regards,

Shane

Hi @Ken,

Initial test results shows your service is currently connected for 1d 1h 18m. No line fault and dropouts occurred on your service.

Let me know if you still experience the same issue. Else, I will arrange one of our Technicians to call you for further tests and investigation.

Kindly PM me your best contact number and preferred time tomorrow.

Cheers!

orbistat
Level 8

Hi @Ken another thing to check is that personal hotspot or tethering is not active on your wifi connected devices, if a device loses wifi link it may revert to tethered mobile data which effectively puts another router on the same network and will cause iP conflict.