High-end Modem/Router (FTTN)

berniekruger
Level 2

Hi,

For NBN FTTN/VDSL2 - Is anyone using a high end modem/router such as:

ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300

D-Link COBRA AC5300 Wave 2

Netgear R8500 Nighthawk X8 AC5300

I read various success and failure stories... any feedback?

Cheers

Bernie

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @berniekruger,

Welcome to TPG Community!

I don't have any personal input on those devices but I have done some research on the products that you posted and learned that both ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 and Netgear R8500 Nighthawk X8 AC5300 are router only device which still requires to be connected to a modem.

Check this helpful links for some discussion on those routers:

Asus GT-AC5300 ROG Rapture / ASUS Tri-Band Router

Netgear R8500 Tri-Band WiFi Router

Asus RT-AC88U VS Netgear Nighthawk X8 R8500 AC5300

The D-Link COBRA AC5300 Wave 2 on the other hand is a Modem/Router but was not able to see any reviews on it. Hopefully some of our helpful friends here in the community can give us some inputs.

Regards,

berniekruger
Level 2

Thanks for this info.

However the Netgear R8500 Nighthawk X8 AC5300 is both a modem and router - See here.

At the moment I'm tossing up between the Netgear and the D-Link COBRA AC5300 Wave 2 - money is not an issue.

The Netgear supports port trunking for my QNAP NAS, so I favour it so far, just a bit weary of the reported long connection times and setup issues.

If I can get fedback from users that own any of these, that would be great!

Cheers

BasilDV

Thank you for the link @berniekruger.

Now let's wait for any feedback from the community.

Cheers! Smiley Happy

Gingdg
Level 2

HI!

I am using a Dlink Cobra dsl 5300. my problem is, i always got disconnected to my ISP (TPG). Would it be possible for you to send me the best setup for this modem router. because everytime i called your tech support they always saying that my router has a problem. This is my 3rd dlink router and I bought this new router to think that it will solve my problem but so far it's not. hoping you can help me to solve this problem.

Thank you.

Boo2981
Level 2

Did you solve this problem I have brought this router and having connection problems.

dmitch
Level 2
Been using the dlink cobra for 2 weeks now and had 1 quick dropout.. excellent modem with excellent wifi range...

Those having trouble with dropouts dig into the settings and make sure you enable SRA its required but not enabled by default