TPG Community

Get online support

How to connect TP Link VR1600v router with TP Link RE200 extender?

bernalee
Level 2

How to connect TP Link VR1600v router with TP Link RE200 extender? Does TP Link VR1600v support mesh?

9 REPLIES 9
david64
Level 15

Hi @bernalee . Can you try this using WPS function.

Do RE200 setup next to the VR1600.

Press the WPS button on the VR1600, and then press the WPS button on the extender for 1 second within 2 minutes.

Wait until the WPS LED changes to solid on, and wait until the signal LED turns solid on, which indicates that the WPS connection is successful.

Repeat steps 1 and 2 above to connect to the other band on VR1600.

Relocate your extender for optimal Wi-Fi coverage and performance. Plug in the extender about halfway between the VR1600 and the Wi-Fi dead zone. The location you choose must be within the range of the VR1600.
Wait for about 2 minutes until the Signal LED turns solid green. If it doesn’t, relocate the extender closer to the router to achieve better signal quality.

bernalee
Level 2

Thanks @david64! But seems VR1600v doesn't support mesh function in RE200.

david64
Level 15

@bernalee . WPS is not a mesh technology. But WPS might not be enabled in VR1600.

In router admin, Advanced, Wireless, Advanced Settings. Enable WPS.

bernalee
Level 2

@david64 I have connected the extender with wifi _EXT. Can I connect the extender with mesh technology so that I can get rid of _EXT?

david64
Level 15

@bernalee . Do you have the user guide for the RE200?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/re200_v4&re220_v2/?modelName=RE200_V4

Login to VR1600 admin and see what ip address has been given to the RE200. It should be 192.168.1.x. You can reserve an address so RE200 is always the same address, eg. 192.168.1.254.

Put the RE200 ip address in your browser and login.  Chapter 5.2 has a section to change the wireless network name.

bernalee
Level 2

@david64  Still can't set up mesh. Checked that VR1600v is not mesh compatible https://www.tp-link.com/au/onemesh/product-list/ .

david64
Level 15

@bernalee . You can only set up a mesh if you have 2 or more mesh devices. What is your worry about needing a mesh? Are you wanting to move around the house with a wifi device and not having to reconnect from one SSID to another?

Have you been able to get internet access from a wifi device on the extender?

bernalee
Level 2

@david64 Yes, I can connect wifi/internet with the extender but don't want to change SSIDs manually to pick up a stronger signal in different locations of my house.

Mesh is not a new technology. Just wonder why the router can't support it.

david64
Level 15

@bernalee . You can change the SSIDs made by the extender to match the router. Only problem I see is that as you get close to the extender, the router signal may interfere with the extender signal.

The VR1600 model is at least 4 years old (going by threads here). It's a cheap, general purpose device; there are complaints about its wifi coverage. If you don't use the VOIP phone service, you could buy a TP-Link  router to work with the extender.