TPG Community

Get online support

How to turn on bridge mode on the TP Link 1600v

Manuel
Community Manager

What does bridge the modem mean?

It's a setting that allows you to connect two (2) routers with the capability of sharing the network resources. Use the router as an additional access point on an existing network. Good for extending your Wifi network throughout your house.

Very Simply  "Bridging", is a process of connecting two Modem/Routers together!

The below pic show a wireless bridge setup as it may be inside the home.

Pic 1.png

Why Bridge your modem?

You have tried a number of methods to squeeze more WiFi range out of your modem - and it just won't happen (maybe you live in a a large house, want Wifi outside). Bridging the modem is a rather simple solution to get that extra kick that you were after plus more!

How do I turn on bridge mode on my TP LInk 1600V?

First, you need to access the Modem interface by opening any internet browser (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.), then type in the address bar the default IP address of the modem - 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.

Type in admin for username and password unless changed.

1.png

On the Modem interface, Please select the "Advance Tab"

Pic2.png

On the "Advance Tab"

1.) Select on "Network"

2.) Click on "DSL"

3.) Then click on "+Add" to create a new connection

4.) Make sure to select on "VDSL"

5.) Look for "Bridge" on the "Internet Connection Type"

6.) "Enable" the VLAN ID

7.) VLAN ID should be "2"

8.) Lastly, "Save" the changes

Pic3.png

Modem is now ready to bridge.

54 REPLIES 54
TPUSER
Level 2

Hello!

In this set up, Can I enter in Second Router/modem:
 *Forwarding Ports and
 *IP Addresses of the IP Cameras? and They will be working fine?
 If so I can do the Backup of these setting with the second Router/modem ..

(Please note: with the main router - TP Link 1600v -  TPG has LOCKED/NOT DISPLAYED the "Backup/Restore" option.. So I can't not do the backup with the TP Link 1600v..)

Or please show me other way how to set up between TP Link 1600v and another Router/modem (eg: Netgear nighthawk d7000)  so I can save all the setting of the IP cameras.

Many thanks!

BasilDV

Hi @TPUSER,

Welcome to TPG Community!

What type of NBN technology do you have?

Please note that once you bridge the modem, the bundled VoIP will not work.

If it's okay, then you may proceed with the process of bridging the TP-Link modem/router.

Once in bridge mode, you need to connect the third party modem/router to the WAN port of the bridged TP-Link. Then, you need to configure the third party modem/router to a "Wireless router only" device. You may contact the manufacturer of your third party device for more instructions.

After setting the device as a router, set the connection type on it as "PPPoE" then enter your TPG username and password as it is required. You may now save the settings and the internet should start working.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

TPUSER
Level 2

Hi BasilDV
 Thank you so much for quick reply ..
 I have the type of NBN technology: TPG NBN FTTB ..
 Currently I have either
VOIP phone issue .. or Backup/Restore all my setting...

Please help me out by answer 2 questions as below:
 1)
CASE1: Main Modem/Route: Netgear D7000 and Second Modem/Route: TP Link VR1600v:
(--> Backup/Restore all my setting is OK! But VOIP phone issue!!)

Currently I have Netgear D7000 which is working fine with my TPG account..
 I can do Backup/Restore all my setting.. included all Forwarding Ports and  IP Addresses of all my IP Cameras.. That's great!!
 But the issue is that I cannot have VOIP phone working..!!
 So Please show the way (including cables ..) to connect the Modem/Router - TP Link VR1600v - as
second Modem/Router to main Modem/Route - Netgear D7000 ? TO GET VOIP phone working.!!

1)
CASE2: Main Modem/Route: TP Link VR1600v  and Second Modem/Route: Netgear D7000:
(--> Cannot do Backup/Restore all my setting!!  But VOIP phone is OK!!)
 In this case I can have VOIP phone working fine.. But I can not do a backup setting from TP Link VR1600v..
 Please show the way (including cables ..) to connect between these 2  Modem/Routes so I can enter all Forwarding Ports and  IP Addresses of all my IP Cameras in second Second Modem/Route: Netgear D7000 to make these cameras working and I can do the Backup/Restore all my setting..!

Thanks a lot! and Have a nice day!

BasilDV

Hi @TPUSER ,

By using a third party device or bridging the modem, the VoIP will not work. This should answer the first case.

Case 2: (NOTE: Any third party device may or may not work, please contact the manufacturer for further guidance)

You have the option to set the Netgear device as an extender or wireless router and use the main TP-Link as a modem.

You need to connect the Netgear device to the WAN/LAN port of the modem (TP-Link). Then you need to configure the Netgear as a "Wireless router/Router only" device.

On the Netgear interface, go to Advanced > Advanced setup > Device mode > Choose the option "Router only"

Netgear.png

(Not sure if you'll see the same information, but this will serve as a guide)

Once set, go to Setup > Internet Setup > Then configure it as automatic/using DHCP. (We can't find any screenshot or sample of it, if you may provide a screenshot it will help our viewers for future reference)

The internet should start working on your Netgear router once done.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

TPUSER
Level 2

Hi BasilDV,
 Thank you for your message ..
 In CASE2 (No more CASE1..): Main Modem
/Route: TP Link VR1600v  and Second Modem/Route: Netgear D7000:
 Please confirm:
 a)In this setup as you suggest..,
Can I just enter ALL Forwarding Ports and  IP Addresses of all my IP Cameras in the second Modem/Route - Netgear D7000?
(I do not need to enter them in Main Modem/Route: TP Link VR1600v .. Is that correct?)

b)In this setup as you said:
 <<<'
On the Netgear interface, go to Advanced > Advanced setup > Device mode > Choose the option "Router only" '
 But
Netgear D7000 (as in your pic as the same in mine!) has  2 options:
   *"Modem (Modem only)"  or  *"Router (Modem+Router)"
 So which option I should select?  "Router (Modem+Router)" option??

Thanks a lot!

BasilDV

Hi @TPUSER,

The port forwarding for the setup that I've provided will need to be configured on the main modem (TP-Link).

If it's okay for you to lose the VoIP phone service, then you may bridge the TP-Link for you to be able to use the settings you want with your Netgear.

Sacrifices will need to be done in order for you to achieve the setup that you are looking for.

Once you've decided that the IP camera setup and Backup/Restore are more important, then continue to bridge the TP-Link modem. Connect your Netgear to the WAN port of your TP-Link, then make sure that the third party device has the correct configuration (VLAN ID = 2, PPPoE, Correct TPG username and password).

Kind regards,

BasilDV

TPUSER
Level 2

Hi

Finally, you mean that NO WAY to connect to between Main Modem/Route: TP Link VR1600v and Second Modem/Route:  Netgear D7000 to get::

*VOIP phone working!  and
  *Do a  Backup all my setting of
all Forwarding Ports and  IP Addresses of all my IP Cameras.
That's pretty awful!! What can I say!!!
Thanks anyway!!

nicknet
Level 2

This is not a TPG issue, or a TP-Link issue. If you bridge the TP-Link so the D7000 becomes your internet-facing router, then any functionality which the TP-Link  had is no longer used because it's not doing any routing, just being a modem for the VDSL. The problem is that your D7000 doesn't have VOIP.

You either use the TP-Link and port forward there, utilizing your D7000 as an access point, or you do away with both and get an all in one like a Draytek 2862VAC or perhaps an Asus AC2400 - the Asus is pretty cool because it's also a DECT phone base station built-in so you don't need to connect any phone lines other than your VDSL telephone line. 

joecarmody
Level 2

I have a somwhat similar case here: 

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/VOIP-settings-for-VR1600v-when-Ubiquiti-AMPLIFI-H...

Want to use TPG VOIP with third party primary router TPG router is secondary 

can anyone help?