TPG Community

Get online support

How to turn on bridge mode on the TP Link 1600v

Shane

Hi @harry2,

To better understand the situation, please post a screen shot of the modem/router's current setup.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, those are the steps I have taken.  When I get to allcoating the VLAN ID, selecting number 2 gives an error message (code 85629).

To avoid the conflicting ID I tried deleting the existing pppoe_otm... connection (mentioned elsewhere). This connection which also has VID of 2. This unfortunately deleted all internet access from my primary modem. So I have done a factory reset, got my internet back, and am back to the original conflicting VID/VLAN ID error.

Does the bridge have to be VLAN ID 2? If so, why is my external internet provider using the same ID to provide internet in through the DSL line?

Thanks

harry2
Level 2

Hi Shane,

Again - thanks for such a quick response! 

Anyway, I think I have misunderstood the purpose of bridging. I now understand the primary modem (TPLink) will no longer provide a wifi lan. Once conflicting VID2 settings are deleted it is solely a 'bridged' ethernet connection through to the additional (asus) router.

So what I was experiencing, where deleting existing conflicting connections and all dropping out from tplink connection is expected.

I believe I have the bridging setting correct so will be in contact if I still can't make it work.

Thanks for all the help and such prompt responses!

Shane

Thanks for the update @harry2

Feel free to post an update on this thread, this will help our community for additional troubleshooting reference.

Regards,

Hi Shane,

Again - thanks for such a quick response! 

Anyway, I think I have misunderstood the purpose of bridging. I now understand the primary modem (TPLink) will no longer provide a wifi lan. Once conflicting VID2 settings are deleted it is solely a 'bridged' ethernet connection through to the additional (asus) router.

So what I was experiencing, where deleting existing conflicting connections and all dropping out from tplink connection is expected.

I believe I have the bridging setting correct so will be in contact if I still can't make it work.

Thanks for all the help and such prompt responses!

mooneydan1
Level 2

User interface wont accept '2' as VPI/VCI or VID: says its already taken by pppoe_ptm_2_0_d

BasilDV

Hi @mooneydan1

If you'll look into the picture along with the instructions. You'll notice the pppoe_ptm_2_0_d already has the 2.

You need to delete the 'pppoe_ptm_2_0_d' for you to use the 2 for VPI/VCI or VID.

If it did not work, then you may need to use the third party device as an access point.

BasilDV

mooneydan1
Level 2

ok thanks

Will there be any impacts to critical TPlink router settings if I delete 'pppoe_ptm_2_0_d' ?

ak_static
Level 2

Hi,

I tried to add the VLAN ID as 2 and I am getting the same error as mentioned earlier. I have attached the picture.

I am setting up my new Netgear Orbi RBK50v2. Any help is appreciated.

image.png

Shane

Hi @ak_static,

Welcome to the community!

You may also try to connect the Netgear Router via DHCP. Please see the links below for reference.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

Hi,

I tried to add the VLAN ID as 2 and I am getting the same error as mentioned earlier. I have attached the picture.

I am setting up my new Netgear Orbi RBK50v2. Any help is appreciated.

image.png

Jayk
Level 2

Hi,

I am using 2 tp link archer VR 1600v as main and secondary router to extend the WIFI coverage. Could you help with the configuration for main and secondary router.

I have set main as bridge but facing issue while accessing internet

BasilDV

Hi @Jayk

Welcome to the Community!

If you are using both TP Link Archer VR1600 as the main and access point, then you don't need to set the main into bridge.

You may check the instructions given by @JovemarL and apply it for your setup.

Archer vr1600v as access point

BasilDV