TPG Community

Get online support

How to use extra modem router

SOLVED Go to solution
sanchit
Level 2
I have the NBN connection box in my master bedroom with the tp-link Sagemcom 5G Home Broadband Modem that TPG sent me. Internet and wifi are working fine, just wifi signal is not very good on the ground floor, as the wifi router is on the first floor and at the extreme corner.

I have the extra tp-link Archer VR1600v modem router from TPG before, and we were using NBN service too, but I believe it was a different type of connection and now it’s TPG NBN Fibre service.

So, how can I use the old modem router VR1600v as an extender/access point in order to enjoy the proper connectivity throughout the house seamlessly.

Please find the attached photos for 2 modems.

Kindly help me out on this issue by providing the detailed steps on how to fix it.
I tried checking other similar posts but didn’t get a proper solution, so, if you can provide the solution step-by-step, it will really be useful for me.

Thank you in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Master

@sanchit . The VR1600 has to be cabled to the other router.

You may still get a small benefit in moving the VX220 within the room, when it comes to position the extender on ground floor.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Master

Hi @sanchit . Your photos did not get attached.

What type of NBN connection box do you have in your bedroom?

The Sagemcom 5G modem is normally used on 5G wireless broadband services, not cabled NBN connections. If you stop using 5G wireless, TPG want the Sagemcom sent back.

Is the Sagemcom connected to the NBN connection box?

The Sagemcom could be moved to another position on first floor, closer to centre of house. Its wifi might then reach ground floor better.

To use the VR1600, it has to be connected by CAT6 cable to Sagemcom.

Login to VR1600 admin, change its LAN ip address to 192.168.1.2, disable DHCP and NAT and Save.

Connect VR1600 LAN port to Sagemcom LAN port.

BasilDV

Hi @sanchit

We'd like to check on your account as the TPG 5G modem/router we provide is required to be returned once you terminate your account, unless you bought it.

Kindly send us your account details via PM for further checking,

BasilDV

sanchit
Level 2
Hi David,

Apologies for the confusion. Sagemcom was wrongly connected and it’s of no use, forget it: Now, I have model VX220-G2v i.e the black box which is connected properly with the nbn box and it’s running properly fine. Now, the only question I have is how do I connect the modem router tp link Archer VR1600v as an Extender/Access point.
david64
Master

@sanchit . 

The VX220 could be moved to another position on first floor, closer to centre of house. Its wifi might then reach ground floor better. The ethernet extension has to be run around the edge of the room to somewhere else, or up through the ceiling into another room.

To use the VR1600, it has to be connected by CAT6 cable to VX220.

Login to VR1600 admin, change its LAN ip address to 192.168.1.2, disable DHCP and NAT and Save.

Connect VR1600 LAN port to VX220 LAN port. You can leave the VR1600 wifi network names as is or change them to be same as VX220. The 2.4GHz network channel number should be different on each router; Use 1 and 6, or 1 and 11, or 6 and 11 (to reduce interference). 

It might be easier to use an extender placed on ground floor where it gets good wifi signal from VX220 upstairs.

sanchit
Level 2
Thanks David for detailing out the solution. Is there any way I can connect VR1600 with VX220 wirelessly or as you mentioned, I need to purchase an extender to connect with VX220 wirelessly?
david64
Master

@sanchit . The VR1600 has to be cabled to the other router.

You may still get a small benefit in moving the VX220 within the room, when it comes to position the extender on ground floor.

sanchit
Level 2
Thanks David, much appreciated!! I’ll give it a try.