Huawei HG659 Help

dude
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone can help and give advice:

As in the subject heading I have a HG659 with a VoIP service associated with it and this phone number is utilised for my main business office number.

The issue I have is that I want to upgrade my network installing something along the lines of a Triband D-Link router / modem with all the bells and whistles to help integrate the rest of the home / business equipment without the lag issues we've been facing etc and still want to keep the existing phone number that comes with the HG659.

I think the HG659 comes with the proprietry software that only allows that number to be associated with that specific modem, not sure if that is true?

Basically want to keep the number and have a fast switching wireless network with Gigabit LAN ports.

Any advice / help is appreciated,

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @dude

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for raising this to us, you may try to use a 3rd party router extension for your network but we'd like to set your expectation that the VoIP feature of TPG NBN service is only available using our supplied modem/router. We do not support advance network setup but we have some existing threads available here in community that you may find helpful.

The following will guide you connecting a 3rd party router using our supplied modem.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi Everyone,

Hopefully someone can help and give advice:

As in the subject heading I have a HG659 with a VoIP service associated with it and this phone number is utilised for my main business office number.

The issue I have is that I want to upgrade my network installing something along the lines of a Triband D-Link router / modem with all the bells and whistles to help integrate the rest of the home / business equipment without the lag issues we've been facing etc and still want to keep the existing phone number that comes with the HG659.

I think the HG659 comes with the proprietry software that only allows that number to be associated with that specific modem, not sure if that is true?

Basically want to keep the number and have a fast switching wireless network with Gigabit LAN ports.

Any advice / help is appreciated,

Cheers

dude
Level 2

Hi Shane,

So are you basically telling me that I cannot utilise another router / modem of my choice to keep the phone number and that it can only be provided if I'm using a TPG modem / router?

Ahra_G

Hi @dude

Your TPG homephone number remains the same. However for security reasons, the home phone component of your bundle is encrypted and requires the use of our modem, to make and receive phone calls. 

In regards to the settings for the included voice service, we have chosen not to supply these to end users to simplify setup and to ensure the security of our customers' connection. We make this clear to all customers before signup by indicating that a router supplied by TPG must be used with the service.

This is in our terms and conditions which are available on the TPG website at https://tpg.com.au/terms_conditions/tpg_voice.php. Thanks for your honest feedback but we make decisions based on our customer needs and security is paramount.

Regards,

Ahra_G

dude
Level 2

Hi Ahra_G,

Understood, how then can I keep my business phone number and still update my router / modem, is there a way to still use the HG modem that you supplied connected to a newer type Triband router / modem and only utilise the phone portion of the HG modem, I don't want to connect the HG modem up as the prime VDSL interface as its swithcing capabilities are poor and I only need the phone number??

If not moving to another ISP and having the number ported may be an option

Regrads

Dude

Ahra_G

Hi @dude

We're sorry to learn that switching ISP has crossed your mind. 

Please send your Customer ID or username via private message so we can assist you accordingly.

Thanks!