TPG Community

Get online support

I have an HFC NBN 50 plan. Which mesh network products are compatible with my TPG plan? I read that PPPoE is required.

swnb7
Level 2

I have an HFC NBN Cable 50 plan. It is terribly slow and we have about 1/3 of our house unreachable by the router. I'm considering replacing the TPG router with a mesh network product such as Linksys Velop or DLink COVR-X 1873. I read on the TPG sit.e that all BYO routers must have PPPoE connection capability, gigabit ehternet ports and Wifi6.

If anyone else has already been down this road, I'm keen to find out which of the mesh network wifi routers are compatible with TPG. 

Thanks for any tips. 

4 REPLIES 4
Ahra_G

Hi @swnb7,

Have you checked out these Community articles? 

Hope it helps! 

Feel free to let us know should you require further assistance.  

-Ahra_G

I have an HFC NBN Cable 50 plan. It is terribly slow and we have about 1/3 of our house unreachable by the router. I'm considering replacing the TPG router with a mesh network product such as Linksys Velop or DLink COVR-X 1873. I read on the TPG sit.e that all BYO routers must have PPPoE connection capability, gigabit ehternet ports and Wifi6.

If anyone else has already been down this road, I'm keen to find out which of the mesh network wifi routers are compatible with TPG. 

Thanks for any tips. 

swnb7
Level 2

Thanks very much for your reply Ahra_G. It was helpful. The list of approved routers is helpful but it seems a bit out of date. For example I am interested in the D-Link COVR x1873 but the closest I can find on the list is the D LInk COVR 1102, which was a 2019 release. I get that it must be difficult to evaluate every now router on the market.

Is there someone I can communicate with at TPG about specific current model mesh network products and whether they will work with my TPG plan? 

Appreciate your thoughts. 

david64
Level 15

Hi @swnb7 . The COVR X1870 manual has this regarding VLAN.

WAN Interface: Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, DS-Lite
Support 802.1p & 802.1q VLAN tagging and Priority bit
Concurrent session: 30000

The manual doesn't say where it is set. You could contact D-Link about how to set VLAN ID and priority.

Download the manual before you call to get an idea of the screens.

Settings are: PPPoE, username + @tpg.com.au, and password.

The bundled NBN/VOIP plan uses VLAN ID=2 and priority=0 (even if you aren't using a home phone).

All current models do PPPoE, have gigabit ethernet ports. Wifi6 is not a requirement.

No info on Linksys.

Do a search in Community on   COVR   . There are mixed results with the 1870 model.

swnb7
Level 2

Thanks for the info and advice.