TPG Community

Get online support

Mobile Home Wireless Bridge

Scoot
Level 2

Hi @Shane@BasilDV 

I've been trying to get the VX420-G2H (AX5400) into bridge mode for hours so it functions purely as a VADSL modem for use with pfSense and it appears it will not work bridged as it always automatically readds the default PPPoE DSL configuration. The process I've followed based on lots of reading mainly around the VR1600v, since there's nothing available for this model, has been:

1. Under Advanced > DSL delete all the configurations and add a new one as Bridged and VLAN2
  2. Under Advanced > LAN set the IP to something other than my pfSense LAN and turn off DHCP
  3. Reboot the unit. It takes ages to start up and has solid power and DSL lights
  4. Connect the WAN port of the unit to my pfSense WAN (this is based on the VR1600v documentation which I assume is the same for this unit since it doesn't have and Interface Grouping than I could find)
  5. Configure pfSense with my TPG PPPoE login on the WAN port connected to the unit
  6. Configure pfSense to put the PPPoE connection on a VLAN2 vlan

The result is no internet but i can connect back to the VADSL router setting my PC to a static ip on the orgiinal network of the unit. Please note that I've been renewing my ip during this process to switch from my pfSense LAN and the VADSL router.

• I've checked it's on the latest firmware, from what I could find on TPG, "2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 220110 Rel.12310n"
    • Hardware version is "VX420-G2h v1.1 00000000"
  • I've tried various combinations of not setting bridged mode as VLAN2 and not using a VLAN2 configuration in pfSense.
  • I've tried using LAN1, LAN4, and WAN on the VASDSL router to connect to pfSense WAN. 
  • I've tried both 1480 and 1500 as the MTU value.
  • I've tried 1492 as the MSS value.

I've seen posts where I should not be able to connect to the VADSL router's web interface by ip after it's been put in to bridge mode but no matter what I do I can still connect to it and the default PPPoE entries have been automatically readded, though not on VLAN2 because the bridge configuration is using VLAN2.

The only conclusion I can make is that the custom firmware is broken. Any guidance you can provide, or a new firmware, to get bridged mode working so the VADSL router can function as purely a VADSL modem enabling it to funtion with pfSense would be greatly appreciated.

david64
Level 15

Hi @Scoot . This thread is Home Wireless and you mention the G2H variant. So, are you really using the 4G Home Wireless connection, as opposed to a cabled NBN connection?

If it's 4G Home Wireless, the current word is that the G2H cannot be put into bridge mode. 

(VR1600 can be put into bridge mode if using DSL interface (FTTB/FTTN), but not if using ethernet interface.)

If you have a G2H and are on FTTB/FTTN, you should be able to set bridge mode.

Regarding the VR1600 and bridge mode, see here:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/Archer-vr1600v-bridge-mode-Totally-confused/m-p/1...

Once you save the bridge config, you can't do anything else on VR1600. Use factory reset to get it back to normal.

Whichever connection you have, your pfSense "WAN" port connects to G2H LAN port.

If your connection type allows the G2H to be in bridge mode, the pfSense is set as PPPoE (no VLAN ID).

If you are 4G home wireless, the pfSense can only be an access point. If pfSense has a specific setting of "Access Point", connect its "WAN" port to G2H LAN port. Otherwise, give it a different ip address, disable DHCP and NAT, connect its "LAN" port to G2H LAN port.

Scoot
Level 2

Hi @david64 , thanks for the quick reply. 

The G2H is connected to FTTN. I was following the guides for the VR1600 because there's nothing for the G2H (good call naming it G2H here instead of VX420-G2h). What I'm experiencing is that when I put it in bridge mode I can still connect to it via the web interface when it's my understanding that I shouldn't be able to which leads me to think the firmware has an issue.

I've tried the configuration you mentioned

• All DSL connections deleted on the G2H
  • Added bridge mode with VLAN2 selected on the G2H
  • Disabled DHCP, set the ip to something different from the pfSense LAN, and restarted
  • Connected G2H LAN1 to pfSense WAN
  • Configured PPPoE with my TPG creds in pfSense, MTU as 1500 or 1480, MSS blank or 1492
  • No VLAN configured in pfSense
  • I've also tried the G2H WAN port as indicated in some VR1600 instructions since there's no where to do Interface Binding on the G2h

Either I'm missing 1 simple thing, which is always the hardest to find, or this firmware version has an issue for bridging. I'm considering flashing DDWRT onto it, if the G2H is supported (which appears it's not), but I realise that will cause me grief for TPG support.

david64
Level 15

@Scoot . When setting bridge mode, do you select VDSL and not ADSL?

I don't know if Save makes G2h switch to bridge mode immediately or if it needs reboot.

You could try factory reset and start again doing bridge setting.

The format of the firmware Build number is  yymmdd  so 22.... should be a recent release.

You can search in Community for any threads on firmware version.

Search on     vx420 AND firmware

Shane

HI @Scoot

Let us coordinate this with our Network Engineers if our supplied TP-link VX420-g2h supports bridge mode. Could you shoot us a PM with your details.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi @Shane@BasilDV 

I've been trying to get the VX420-G2H (AX5400) into bridge mode for hours so it functions purely as a VADSL modem for use with pfSense and it appears it will not work bridged as it always automatically readds the default PPPoE DSL configuration. The process I've followed based on lots of reading mainly around the VR1600v, since there's nothing available for this model, has been:

1. Under Advanced > DSL delete all the configurations and add a new one as Bridged and VLAN2
  2. Under Advanced > LAN set the IP to something other than my pfSense LAN and turn off DHCP
  3. Reboot the unit. It takes ages to start up and has solid power and DSL lights
  4. Connect the WAN port of the unit to my pfSense WAN (this is based on the VR1600v documentation which I assume is the same for this unit since it doesn't have and Interface Grouping than I could find)
  5. Configure pfSense with my TPG PPPoE login on the WAN port connected to the unit
  6. Configure pfSense to put the PPPoE connection on a VLAN2 vlan

The result is no internet but i can connect back to the VADSL router setting my PC to a static ip on the orgiinal network of the unit. Please note that I've been renewing my ip during this process to switch from my pfSense LAN and the VADSL router.

• I've checked it's on the latest firmware, from what I could find on TPG, "2.0.0 0.9 v603c.0 Build 220110 Rel.12310n"
    • Hardware version is "VX420-G2h v1.1 00000000"
  • I've tried various combinations of not setting bridged mode as VLAN2 and not using a VLAN2 configuration in pfSense.
  • I've tried using LAN1, LAN4, and WAN on the VASDSL router to connect to pfSense WAN.
  • I've tried both 1480 and 1500 as the MTU value.
  • I've tried 1492 as the MSS value.

I've seen posts where I should not be able to connect to the VADSL router's web interface by ip after it's been put in to bridge mode but no matter what I do I can still connect to it and the default PPPoE entries have been automatically readded, though not on VLAN2 because the bridge configuration is using VLAN2.

The only conclusion I can make is that the custom firmware is broken. Any guidance you can provide, or a new firmware, to get bridged mode working so the VADSL router can function as purely a VADSL modem enabling it to funtion with pfSense would be greatly appreciated.