TPG Community

Get online support

Modem/Router range issue

SOLVED Go to solution
dangelo23
Level 2
Hi just new to TPG. Customer Service has been great but the range on the tp link archer v1600 modem is poor. I am trying to connect a tp link range extender via WPS, however the WPS button on the modem doesn't appear to be working. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Hi @dangelo23 . WPS has to be enabled in router admin.

Login to router. Go to Advanced/Wireless/Advanced Settings and enable WPS and save.

View solution in original post

orbistat
Level 8

@dangelo23 wrote:
 I am trying to connect a tp link range extender via WPS

Hi @dangelo23 WPS is only for connecting a client device such as a PC or Printer etc to the Router, what you need is 'WDS' which is unfortunately not supported with the supplied versions of VR1600v.

A much better option is something like a TP-link Deco M5 mesh kit, they are available in a single, twin or triple pack. I'd suggest you need at least a twin kit as the first unit must be connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and then can connect wirelessly to the other node/s. It's performance will be much better than any bridged range extender.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @dangelo23 . WPS has to be enabled in router admin.

Login to router. Go to Advanced/Wireless/Advanced Settings and enable WPS and save.

orbistat
Level 8

@dangelo23 wrote:
 I am trying to connect a tp link range extender via WPS

Hi @dangelo23 WPS is only for connecting a client device such as a PC or Printer etc to the Router, what you need is 'WDS' which is unfortunately not supported with the supplied versions of VR1600v.

A much better option is something like a TP-link Deco M5 mesh kit, they are available in a single, twin or triple pack. I'd suggest you need at least a twin kit as the first unit must be connected to the router via an Ethernet cable and then can connect wirelessly to the other node/s. It's performance will be much better than any bridged range extender.

dangelo23
Level 2
Thank you very much, this was very helpful. Much appreciated. Having looking into a mesh kit for some time. Thanks again!
dangelo23
Level 2
Thank you very much. I really appreciate you taking the time to assist with this query.

Kind regards,
J
JuLu2112
Level 2
Hi. I have a same coverage issue with my VR1600v router. If I upgrade my router to the much better model, will it solve the problem? or the mesh kit is the way to go? If I should upgrade my router, which one is the best option to improve coverage? Many thanks