TPG Community

Get online support

Modem overheating and discoloured

mia_lvs
Level 2

I have a TP-Link Archer VR1600v modem that has recently become discloured on the top half of the front and is hot to the touch.  I would like to get this replaced ASAP as I work from home and require stable internet and in the interest of safety as well - not sure if this is something TPG can do or if I need to purchase one independently.

I have searched high and low on the TPG website and can't find anything other than what models of modem are suitable - I've seen several other posts outlining the same type of issue I'm having but no actual solutions being posted. I'm not in a position to be able to call and the option to send a form/email query apparently has been removed so I'm hoping I may be able to get some help via the community!

13 REPLIES 13
alanguide
Level 7

I am not familiar with this model, but usually electronic equipment may run warm (my router is warm), whereas hot to the touch suggests a fault.

mia_lvs
Level 2
This is definitely more than just warm to the touch and it's got that characteristic pale gold/yellow-brown colour of something that is overheating/burning out.
BasilDV

Hi @mia_lvs 

We'd like to check on what we can arrange for you.

Please send us a private message with your account details along with a photo of the device.

BasilDV

Kjtran
Level 2

Hi @BasilDV 

I'm having the same issue as well, would I be able to send details through to you as well please?

BasilDV

Hi @Kjtran 

Let's check on what we can arrange for you.

Please send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

Bktown
Level 2
Hello, I'm also having the exact same issues as above with my TP-Link Archer VR1600v.
Is definitely getting past warm at times.
Heavy discolouration on front and doing the same on the back.
alanguide
Level 7

So it's a common problem. Possibly a desgn or manufacturing (batch) shortcoming involving tantalum capacitors. I would normally stop using a device that ran too hot to touch externally.

Bktown
Level 2
My partner requires internet to work from home. So we can't really go without.
But I absolutely agree with what you're saying, it doesn't exactly sound safe.
I'm hoping a TPG advisor can help sort out what we should be doing.
Bktown
Level 2