TPG Community

Get online support

NBN HFC and Asus N55U

reindeer
Level 2

Hi all,

I just installed NBN HFC service and basically happy with the speed.  But one thing is that the TP-link V1600 does not have good wifi converage.  So I want to use my old and solid Asus N55U as router.  I have read many threads and most people asked for other models of routers.  Would you please advise if it's feasible to use this 5 yrs old device.  And if so how do I set it up?  By the way I don't care about the VoIP thing as I akways make phone calls with mobile phone.

Thanks in advance.

Reindeer

13 REPLIES 13
Will

Hi @reindeer 

Welcome to the Community!

Based on the ASUS' website, it seems like the ASUS N55U is not a VDSL2 modem so you won't be able to connect this directly to the NBN Arris box.

Regards,

reindeer
Level 2

Thanks for the quick response.  I went to Asus website and found below for this device (my one is actually DSL-N55U C1):

The DSL-N55U has two WAN (Wide Area Network) ports, allowing it to be used as a standalone router when not operating as a ADSL modem router. You can choose which mode suits your needs at any time, reducing cost and clutter by not having to buy separate power-consuming devices. Whether for a basic home setup or a full wireless network, this dual-WAN design gives you total flexibility.

Correct me if I am wrong, if I config this device as Ethernet WAN, it should work?

https://www.asus.com/au/Networking/DSLN55U_C1/?SearchKey=n55u/

Thanks.

Will

Hi @reindeer 

Thanks for clarifying the exact model of your modem.

Utilizing the Ethernet WAN would have worked if you're on NBN FTTP technology since you only need a router for that technology.

For the other NBN technologies, however, you will need an NBN compatible VDSL2 modem that will allow you to change the VLAN setting. Unfortunately, the ASUS' website didn't indicate that this is a VDSL2 modem at all.

Since you're after the wireless functionality of this modem, you can try and make it as an access point instead.

Regards,

reindeer
Level 2

Thanks Will,

You are right.  DSL-N55U C1 does not support VLAN where I can't see 802.1q settings in the UI.

For access point solution it seems I will have to connect a cable between this modem and TP-link V1600 which I don't prefer.

What I am after is to utilize WDS (bridge mode).  I did see an article about how to set bridge mode for TP-link v1600 as below.  I am not sure if those steps in this article only apply to DSL connection or it works for the WAN port as well (the cable is connected into tp-link v1600's WAN port from the NBN modem), please confirm.  I knew I can set up bridge mode in the DSL-N55U C1.  I suppose if both deives in hands can be bridged then this will be a good solution for me.

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-turn-on-bridge-mode-on-the-TP-Link-1600v/m...

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @reindeer ,

If you bridge both devices, then there's no modem or router that will carry the necessary configuration in order to authenticate with the server.

Your DSL-N55U C1 modem will be able to work with your home network if you are able to configure it as a wireless access point (if available). Once it is on a WAP mode, you need to connect it to the wireless of your NBN modem/router (TP-Link) in order for it to extend your WiFi internet connection.

There's a discussion on whirlpool which can be of help. You may refer to this link.

Regards,

BasilDV

reindeer
Level 2

Thanks BasilDV,

It seems access point mode will need cable conection between the TP-link and DSL-N55U.  So this maybe the last option I will go.

For bridge mode I looked at an artice from Asus support which points out that WDS needs to be configured in both routers.  See the link below.  I suppose this should apply to routers with different brands as well?

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/114612/

Would you shed some light on how to do with the two devices in bridge mode please.

Thanks.

BasilDV

Hi @reindeer,

If you bridge both devices, then there's no modem or router that will carry the necessary configuration in order to authenticate with the server.

Let me correct myself as I misunderstood your post. You can set it up, as long as the modem/router has the WDS/Wireless bridging feature.

The WDS feature on the supplied TP-Link modem/router is not supported, which is why it won't work.

If you can configure the wireless bridging on your DSL-N55U C1, then you have an option to change your TP-Link modem/router to an Asus VDSL modem/router which has a WDS option for you to connect them wirelessly with each other as per the given link. (make sure that you configure the modem to VDSL = VLANID 2 to authenticate with the TPG NBN server)

Please note that the VoIP home phone will not work on a third party device as the settings is already embedded in the firmware of the supplied modem/router.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

reindeer
Level 2

Thanks BasilDV,

I probably messed up the concepts bridge and WDS.  I read the article about how to bridge TP-link 1600 and did so (https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-turn-on-bridge-mode-on-the-TP-Link-1600v/m...).  I thought if I config WDS in DSL-N55U C1 then the two devices would work via the wifi bridge like this:

TP-link 1600 (bridged) -> wireless bridging -> DSL-N55U C1 (in WDS mode).

I configured WDS in Asus and could see TP-link as an access point.  But I can't get internet.  Probably because I thought bridging a device means put it in WDS mode.

As the example you gave it seems they are different things.  Now with the two devices if I don't consider AP solution then I will have to give up.

Thanks a lot.

Will

Hi @reindeer,

Can we clarify if you were unable to get internet only when your device (computer or mobile phone) is connected to the ASUS modem or is internet also not working when you connect to the TP-Link while on that setup?

Regards,