New router

DenzelW
Level 3
Does tpg offer any routers that allow the LAN ports to be configured. I’ve had for a few years the Archer V1600. I’m looking to upgrade it.
5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @DenzelW

What configuration are you looking for?

If you are under the NBN service, then we are currently providing the TP-Link VX220-G2V model.

You may check if it's going to be sufficient for the type of configuration you are looking for.

BasilDV

DenzelW
Level 3
Hi mate,

I’m looking for a router that would let me configure the LAN ports. Not only the WAN port, which is my case now with the Archer V16000.

I have a L2 switch that has some L3 features but all the routing should come from the router. Therefore I’d need to configure a static route coming from the LAN ports.

This is all in order to create some VLANs and segments within my network.

Thank you.
DenzelW
Level 3
Ahra_G

Hi @DenzelW

We cannot recommend any router to use other than what we supply. You may purchase a 3rd party router that will suit your network needs, connect the device to our modem and configure the network via that 3rd party router.

Thanks!

Ahra_G

david64
Level 15

@DenzelW . The VR1600 allows you to create static routes within the local network. The FS switch gets a fixed local ip address, say192.168.1.2. You create vlans on the switch with addresses in range 172.16.0.0 with subnet mask 255.255.0.0. The switch uses its dhcp server to assign addresses for the 172.16 network devices. The switch has default gateway and dns address of 192.168.1.1 (VR1600).

The VR1600 static route has default gateway of switch's local address, destination network is 172.16.0.0 and mask 255.255.0.0 on LAN interface.

The static route allows a local device to find the 172.16 networks. But I don't think that the 172.16 devices are worried when they access the internet. The switch will NAT their 172.16 address into a 192.168.1.2 address and send to VR1600 which will do its own NAT.

If the switch doesn't do NAT, the VR1600 will receive packets with source ip of 172.16.x.x. 

If the VR1600 copes with that, the reply packet will be directed using the static route back to the switch.