TPG Community

Get online support

Outgoing mail server issues while overseas

planzon
Level 2

Overseas and the moment and I am currently experiencing an issue on all devices that I cannot send emails.  I can receive with no issue but cannot send - outgoing mail server issue?  Never had this issue when overseas and only yesterday it was working fine and I changed hotels and now this issue?  HELP!  

The TPB postbox option is working but not practical.

18 REPLIES 18
BasilDV

Hi @planzon,

Welcome to TPG Community!

Are you using your TPG internet service when you experienced the issue with the outgoing emails?

Are you able to post a screenshot of your email settings for us to analyze it further?

What are the devices that you are using to send out emails?

Kind regards,

BasilDv

ptmdev
Level 2
I am having this same issue now while overseas in the Philippines. I cannot send emails . This happens every time I come here can this be fixed please .
Regards
Peter
Shane

Hi @ptmdev,

Welcome to the community!

It is a normal issue if the device used for your email client is connected to a different ISP. You need to update the outgoing mail server based on the ISP's outgoing server. Else, you have the option to use our Post Office you may visit this link (https://www.tpg.com.au/home/postoffice).

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

ptmdev
Level 2
Hi this is not normal I am a I.T Systems Administrator who looked after a on premise exchange and never had this issue working overseas. I have not problems using my work email or gmail. But I can not use my personal TPG account to send email when overseas. Do you restrict smtp by overseas IP address . I have this problem with TPGs email every time I come here restricting me from replying or forward emails from my account.
Regards
Peter
Ahra_G

Hi @ptmdev

We do not put any restriction on the server. This is normal whenever you need to use your TPG email with an email client overseas. There are some instances that it may work however most of the time, you will need to change the outgoing server whenever you're connected to another ISP.

Regards,

Ahra_G 

murrayjoss
Level 2

I also experienced this problem.  Overseas for 5 months.   I am often overseas.  In August the problem appeared for the first time.  I had been using the account the account for a month or so (in France) when suddenly I could not send.  Receive was fine.  I spent many hours over several days emailing tpg helpdesk but all 'solutions' appeared to be experimental because they did not KNOW of any explanation why my IMAP account was not working.  Your explanation of incompatability with some foreign servers was never mentioned as a possibility.  In attempting to get things going I received a number of cryptic automatic responses from the system - none of them being helpful in any way.  In the end I gave up and switched to Gmail.  Got back in Australia last week and tried my email.  Another cryptic message to say account blocked due to abuse !  So, telephoned helpdesk who explained it is normal practice to block account once it starts being used from overseas !   Really ?  I have used this account for several years without any such issue.   I was told  -  "You need to alert TPG if you are going overseas !!"      How come this is not advertised to customers ??  Mine cannot be a unique situation.   And BTW  -   who do I notify in TPG that I am going overseas ???    I find it hard to believe that explanation  -  Also, why has this suddenly changed ??   .... after years of transparent interoperability with carriers around the globe - why has this become a new and unannounced 'feature' of the TPG product ??       I would like to stay with TPG because I have been with them for many years ... BUT ... In the absence of a 'reliable' explanation I will have to  reassess my email provider.

Shane

Hi @murrayjoss,

Welcome to the community!

We're sad to know that you're having issues with the email.

There are 2 common reasons why customers are getting this error message.

1. TPG e-mail servers detected some virus or malware on the e-mails that you are sending.

2. TPG e-mail server has detected that your account is sending message to a large number of recipients; Unsolicited bulk email (UBE) / Unsolicited commercial email (UCE).

You can follow the simple steps below to fix this issue:

1. Change you TPG account password online: https://www.tpg.com.au/home/myaccount

2. After changing the password Wait for 15-30 minutes before testing the mail.

Note: If you are sending e-mails to a large number of recipients (Exp: More that 50 recipients) please enable the SMTP authentication on the e-mail client settings to avoid getting banned by the server.

You do not need to notify TPG if you're going overseas to use the IMAP email. It is a common issue If the e-mail is setup on an email client connected to a different network. Every ISP has their own unique outgoing mail server.

If you're connected to TPG Network the outgoing should be 'mail.tpg.com.au' this can be found here https://www.tpg.com.au/support/emailsetting

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

murrayjoss
Level 2

Hi Shane,   Neither of those two possible causes apply.  The problem commenced on 4 devices we were using - 2 phones, laptop and tablet after having being used without problems for about 6 weeks in Switzerland and France.  Then, one day in France, it all fell over.  We stayed in 14 towns/cities in France and Italy and then returned to Switzerland and used both residential WiFi and regional 4G.   Usage in Switzerland was from the same location - 5 months apart.  At the beginning of those 5 months it worked.  At the end it did not.   In the meantime the TPG helpdesk made many attempts to help without success.   Unless I'm mistaken, the internet protocol takes care of finding acceptable servers that will route back to TPG.   So I believe TPG has a problem.  Otherwise - will TPG notify me of acceptable server addresses ?

Basically suggested causes 1 and 2 do not address the problem I encountered across 4 devices and multiple cities/locations with multiple virus scans and TPG password changes.  As soon as I returned to Australia, and performed yet another password change - all 4 devices are suddenly able to connect.     So the the question remains - why is there a connectivity problem from overseas ?      The other mystery is - why did TPG tech assistance tel me on Friday that I need to contact TPG anytime I am heading off overseas ?  They told me it was for security -  "because TPG will block to protect against unauthorised users".   I have to travel overseas reularly and never had an issue until August 2019.

I'm looking for a consistent reason/response here.  If not I'll definitely have to change my provider.  I'm sure you would do the same in my situation.    

Thanks - Murray

Will

Hi @murrayjoss

My apologies for the confusion. There is no need to advise us beforehand if you need to go overseas just to ensure that your email works.

For the error message about "account blocked due to abuse", the main reason for that is because your account was flagged by the server for possible spam activities. The advice for you to scan all your devices that has the email account set up on is to ensure that the flag wasn't due to a malware from any of your devices.

Other than "account blocked due to abuse", possible reasons why you may be unable to send messages could be due to settings or in the case of connecting to another internet provider, the blocking of port 25 by said provider which will restrict you to send messages using TPG SMTP settings. In that case, you may need to use the SMTP server settings of the ISP you're connected to.

Let us know if you have further questions or concerns so we can look into it in detail.

Regards,

Will