TPG Community

Get online support

Outlook Email Receipt Problem - Error 1001 timeout error

SOLVED Go to solution
mariedon
Level 2
Currently overseas and suddenly have an issue receiving emails from the TPG server (can send ok) on my MacBook Air. My Microsoft Outlook can connect to the server and see how many emails are available for download but is unable to download them, eventually returned an 1001 error message. I have tried restarting my computer and temporarily disabling my anti-virus software but neither worked.

I have previously travelled overseas without an issue so not sure what is different this time?

Looking for suggestions on what the issue might be.
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BasilDV

Hi @mariedon 

We've found some steps that you may try as it worked with other users.

1. Sign out the mail account from Windows (Go to settings window, Click on "Accounts", Click on "Access work or school", This should show a window where you can select your account and click disconnect)
  2. Change your account password
  3. Rename your PC Name Restart and check again.

Refer to Microsoft Q&A: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1144046/outlook-365-application-error-1001-mail-...

BasilDV

View solution in original post

david64
Level 15

Hi @mariedon . Outlook might have a problem which requires it to be "repaired".

Can you setup the Mac email client to check that your mailbox on the server is OK?

If the Mac email client has not been used on this Mac, it should try to download your entire Inbox.

Outlook has a logging function that might show the problem. The method and location of log files depends on version.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BasilDV

Hi @mariedon 

We've found some steps that you may try as it worked with other users.

1. Sign out the mail account from Windows (Go to settings window, Click on "Accounts", Click on "Access work or school", This should show a window where you can select your account and click disconnect)
  2. Change your account password
  3. Rename your PC Name Restart and check again.

Refer to Microsoft Q&A: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/1144046/outlook-365-application-error-1001-mail-...

BasilDV

david64
Level 15

Hi @mariedon . Outlook might have a problem which requires it to be "repaired".

Can you setup the Mac email client to check that your mailbox on the server is OK?

If the Mac email client has not been used on this Mac, it should try to download your entire Inbox.

Outlook has a logging function that might show the problem. The method and location of log files depends on version.

mariedon
Level 2
Thanks david64, I’ll give that a go. I’ll post details once I get a chance to try this. There may be some delay as I’m about to board a cruise ship for 14 nights.
mariedon
Level 2
Thanks BasilDV.
mariedon
Level 2

My Outlook account is receiving emails again - as per Microsoft Q&A advice after I deleted my Outlook TPG email account and recreated it, Outlook was able to download emails again without the timeout error. I didn't need to reset my password or change my Mac name, but I did need to try this a couple of times before it worked.

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Don.

mariedon
Level 2

David,

Mac email client was able to download emails without timing out so this confirmed it was a unique problem with Outlook. Eventually I got Outlook working again by deleting my TPG email account and recreating it. 

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Don.