TPG Community

Get online support

Remote access & port forwarding 4G home wireless VX420-G2H

pfSense
Level 2

Trying to manage a network at a seperate property of mine. Despite enabling remote access under administration i cant log into this modem remotely. It is connected to the internet via LTE.

I have also been trying to port forward an Security Camera NVR connected to the device unsuccessfully. I want remote conections on port 8000 to forward to 192.168.1.x (the local IP of the NVR) on port 80. It doesnt seem to work using UPnP or manually adding entry to the virtual server table.

I notice the routers IP is 10.x.x.x which is a local IP range. I feel like TPG is NATing the 4G to a local network address and that is what is causing this problem. when i google "what is my IP" i often get 120.x.x.x but if it add :8000 it wont forward to my NVR, nor can i remote access the TP-link VX420-G2H (pretty sure thats the model)

4 REPLIES 4
david64
Level 15

Hi @pfSense . Port forwarding and other things won't work because of the addressing scheme you've noted.

https://www.tpg.com.au/home-wireless-broadband

Techy types should be aware that Home Wireless Broadband uses CG-NAT. Carrier-grade NAT (Network Address Translation) is a type of network that assigns services with a private IP address, instead of a dynamic public IP address. Our network will then translate that private address into a public address. This means that the following items (which depend on internal NAT) will not work on Home Wireless Broadband:

• Port forwarding
  • Hosting web, email or file servers internally
  • Smart Home systems (e.g. accessing security camera footage remotely, home automation and printers)
  • Remote Access (i.e. accessing your home computer or devices from another location)

If you need any of these items in your home setup, Home Wireless Broadband won’t be the right fit for you. Please check your address on our website for one of our other great broadband plans.

pfSense
Level 2

Thanks for confirming. Its annoying but i guess its because the shortage in Ipv4 addressing.

The address is eligible for FTTP nbn, which i plan on gettting, but house is still under construction. This is why i got wireless broadband to run the camera system until i move in. I did explain the reason for my connection to the sales agent, they should have advised me then.

I wonder if a i hosted a VPN server if that would solve the problem, or perhaps that would also fail to connect?

pfSense
Level 2

A suggestion, TPG could allow clients to add port forwarding edits to their CG-NAT via an online portal.

david64
Level 15

@pfSense . With the wireless broadband, the NVR has to make a connection to something external which would act as a mediator between the NVR and you in a remote location. 

Swann might provide something like this. Or, you could have a server at your location and the NVR live streams the video.