TPG Community

Get online support

Router in front of VOIP modem

Coldplayer
Level 2

Hi guys, so I'm using an archer 1600v modem and a service that includes voip. I want to upgrade my router as i'm using quite a few devices and also need a bit more security+qos functionality on my network. However i've read that TPG does not provide details for voip to work on new modems, I'm just wondering can I just run a newer modem plugged into the NBN box (hfc) and then run my archer through that and have my phone plugged into that voip port and everything else disabled?

Cheers

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @Coldplayer

For the VoIP service to work, the authentication is required to be from the TPG provided modem/router.

You may configure the new router as an access point and connect all of the devices through it, then disable the WiFi on the VR1600 instead.

BasilDV

Coldplayer
Level 2
Yes I understand that but won't it still work with the tpg router behind the new router with the phone connected to that one? Not sure why it would make a difference of the tpg one behind in front of the new one.
BasilDV

Hi @Coldplayer

The system will not recognize the VR1600 since it is working as an access point based on what you've described.

For the VoIP service to work, the authentication should come from the TPG provided modem/router.

BasilDV