TPG Community

Get online support

Sagemcom Fast 5866T Modem DNS Settings

murat_onder
Level 2

Hi there,

How can I change the DNS Settings on Sagemcom Fast 5866T modem (5G Broadband)? I see the DNS addresses on Device Info page on 192.168.1.1 but I don't see a way to edit/update network info. Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Murat.

5 REPLIES 5
BasilDV

Hi @murat_onder

The 5G modem/router is configured especially for our network as it uses CGNAT.

The DNS configuration or setting is not available.

BasilDV

murat_onder
Level 2

Thanks BasilDV, it's not ideal but I guess it is what it is, disappointing really if nothing else. Thanks for your response and clarifying though.

david64
Level 15

@BasilDV . I think we all know about 5G and CGNAT, but why does CGNAT prevent the DNS addresses from being changed?  DNS requests originate from the user's device and the response is returned direct to the device.

Users with a computer can change DNS address in the ethernet and wifi properties but not in phones/tablets.

murat_onder
Level 2

@BasilDV I agree with @david64. Also to David's point, technically I can modify each and every device in my network to use any DNS address I want. So I hardly see the point of locking the DNS settings in a modem/router and forcing the non technical users to use TPG specific DNS addresses.

Besides, for anyone else who is reading this thread, you can solve this problem by using a Pi-Hole and running a DHCP server on it. Again, the question is why all this trouble and mandate by the provider.

Mattdavis1234
Level 2

Absolutely unacceptable!