TPG Community

Get online support

Setting up Google Nest Wifi with TPG

djbris
Level 2

I am trying to set up a Google Nest Wifi to address poor wifi issues in parts of my house.  My networking/tech skills are at the very lower end of the scale.  

I have a NBN HFC connection with the Arris CM8200 modem, and the TPG supplied TP-Link Archer VR1600v router. 

After working through the set-up steps from the Google Home app - which instructs you to connect the ethernet cable from the Nest device directly into the modem, the set-up wizard ultimately tells me there is No Internet Connection.

Reading the forums on the TPG community and elsewhere, it appears the problem is related to TPG using "VLAN tagging", which I understand Google Nest Wifi does not support.

Some solutions provided on this forum suggest that the Google Nest router instead needs to be connected into the existing router.  I have tried this multiple times, but the set up wizard will still not recognise an Internet Connection. 

Is there anyone who can point me to a plain English description of how to set this up ? If possible, including screen shots of the devices, and how to make any required changes to settings on the router / Google nest device ?

The moderators keep linking to previous discussions on the community pages, but they are poorly written and completely confusing.

Thankyou