TP Link Archer VR1600

lahirua
Level 2

HI ,

Hoping someone can help here . I have a NBN connection with TPG and use the supplied router which is a Archer VR1600. I have another Archer VR1600 which I wish to convert to a Access point so that the upstairs has better range and connectivity. I have connected the Archer VR1600 (access point) to a TP Link switch which connects to the main Archer VR1600. So a LAN connection 

My question is I can get the Archer VR1600 (access point) to be recognised on the network so that I can configure this as an access point. I can access the main Archer VR1600 no problems but I cant seem to even see an IP for the Archer VR1600 (access point). Is this is even possible to have another router (same model and brand) in the same network acting as an access point ? Appreciate if some guidance can be given here on the steps to follow ?

I even plugged in the Archer VR1600 (access point) direct to the Archer VR1600 router (Lan to Lan)  but cannot get it recognised 

5 REPLIES 5
david64
Level 15

Hi @lahirua . Try this.

Do a reset on the access point router. Login to the admin screen. Change the router's ip address to, say, 192.168.1.9 and save it.

Restart your browser session to the new ip address.

Disable the DHCP function and save. Then connect them via lan to lan. You won't need the switch unless it's for cable length or positioning.

Disconnect from access point router and reconnect. Your ip address should come from main router. You should be able to start another browser session with the main router and also access internet.

You now have 4 wifi networks. There are some options as to how you arrange them.

lahirua
Level 2

Thanks David for thr quick response , when you say "Login to the admin screen. Change the router's ip address to, say, 192.168.1.9 and save it." How would I log into the admin screen of the router I intend to set as the acces  point ?

I can log into the admin screen of my main router using the brower but how would I do this for the access point router ? Do I need to disconnect manin router to do this ?

david64
Level 15

@lahirua . It's easier with two devices, otherwise you have to disconnect from one router and connect to the access point router. At this time, they are two separate routers. Each have their own wifi names and passwords.

Go to Advanced/Network/LAN Settings to change ip address. The DHCP setting is also on this screen.

lahirua
Level 2

Thanks for that, worked a treat . All setup now. Just one last thing , with the 4 SSID Can i use the SSID's in the main router on the access point as well ? Will this clash ? I.e I was going to loginto the wireless settings tab and change the SSID in there so that I constantly have only the 2 SSID's across the entrie house 

Thanks

david64
Level 15

@lahirua . Yes. You can have one 2.4G SSID and one 5G SSID.

For the 2.4G, set them on different channels; 1 or 6 or 11 are best because they don't interfere with each other. As you move around the house with a 2.4G device, it should select the stronger channel.

For the 5G, maybe put them on Auto.

You can use the following command on a Windows laptop with wifi to check signal strengths of your wifi network and surrounding ones:

netsh wlan show all

There might be some info in these TPG articles.