SOLVED Go to solution
livephoenix7
Level 2

Thanks Basil,

I have sent the private message.

Looking forward to your response.

gazton3121
Level 2

Hi.  I have the same old version as livephenix7 - 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n.  Hope this post allows me to private message to Basil. 

I'm curious - why doesn't TPG upgrade modems automagically - say a month after a new firmware release? 

I'm looking at my router because it shows as being very busy whenever I leave my PC running for a while.  I've switched on debug level System log.  I can't see anything matching the busy times.  There are a lots of "VoIP: can not find any account forthe incoming call" and "VoIP: Register to server address 172.26.0.34:5060" but only every hour or so. 

Shane

Hi @gazton3121,

At this moment the only option to update the firmware is to manually push it OTA. This is to ensure we are sending the correct modem/router firmware based on the Technology of the service. 

Could you shoot us a PM with your details so we can proceed requesting the upgrade.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi.  I have the same old version as livephenix7 - 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n.  Hope this post allows me to private message to Basil. 

I'm curious - why doesn't TPG upgrade modems automagically - say a month after a new firmware release? 

I'm looking at my router because it shows as being very busy whenever I leave my PC running for a while.  I've switched on debug level System log.  I can't see anything matching the busy times.  There are a lots of "VoIP: can not find any account forthe incoming call" and "VoIP: Register to server address 172.26.0.34:5060" but only every hour or so. 

RandomUserName
Level 2
Hi jumping in on this one also because i am facing the same issues and because of the post requirement before being able to PM.

Repeated drop outs on my partner's father's device had me checking for updates.

Imagine my surprise when i complete a search and find this thread explaining that firmware updates:
1) Cant be made from the devices portal directly.
2) The tp link website mentioned in the portal would have given the incorrect firmware.
3) Need to google search, find one of these threads, make an account, post and than PM to request an update, which is manually pushed from remote and not a download.
4) No means of locally installing from USB is given in the case of an issue with the update or device.

Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n
Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

The barrier for completing an update and staying on top of security etc is already fairly high for many people and this model makes it infinitely worse. I imagine a substantial portion of the user base is utilising outdated possibly vulnerable firmware.
RandomUserName
Level 2
Having a look around the tp lino website it appears the devices base firmware are under general public licence GPL?

Wouldn't that make these derivatives GPL also, out of curiosity?

Copy pasta from brief googling;

As a GPL software producer, you must:
Include the full copy of the GPL license version in the package you distribute
Include your copyright
Include a disclaimer of warranty
If you distribute the executable version of the software, you have to provide the source code of the software to anyone that requests it.

Also (GPL v3 only) if the software is part of a consumer device you must provide the installation instructions to allow anyone to modify the software, build a binary and reinstall it.

If you are redistributing a modified version of GPL software, you must also:

Include the original version copyright
Include instructions to obtain the original version
Include a list of changes made to the original software
Shane

Hi @RandomUserName,

We do not provide the original firmware version of our supplied modem/router  TP-Link Archer VR1600v v2. We can request to update the firmware version of the device but it will be the updated version supplied by TPG.

Please understand that there are different caused of dropouts that you may experience.

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.
  2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.
  3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area.

In the event that you experience dropouts via Wireless/Wi-Fi connection we did an article that you may find helpful see links below.

Hi jumping in on this one also because i am facing the same issues and because of the post requirement before being able to PM.

Repeated drop outs on my partner's father's device had me checking for updates.

Imagine my surprise when i complete a search and find this thread explaining that firmware updates:
1) Cant be made from the devices portal directly.
2) The tp link website mentioned in the portal would have given the incorrect firmware.
3) Need to google search, find one of these threads, make an account, post and than PM to request an update, which is manually pushed from remote and not a download.
4) No means of locally installing from USB is given in the case of an issue with the update or device.

Firmware Version: 0.1.0 0.9.1 v5006.0 Build 200810 Rel.53181n
Hardware Version: Archer VR1600v v2 00000000

The barrier for completing an update and staying on top of security etc is already fairly high for many people and this model makes it infinitely worse. I imagine a substantial portion of the user base is utilising outdated possibly vulnerable firmware.

czar777
Level 2

can you update my firmware, I cant find the PM

Archer VR1600v v2.0 00000000

RandomUserName
Level 2
Understood, thanks for getting back to me, i was just curious regarding the General Public Licence, which by licence terms carry requirements for any modified or variations on other GPL items and their use which tp-links standard models firmware appears to be.

I take the no supply statement to mean the firmware is entirely an original firmware not based on a GPL one?

Anyway, im an electrical engineer by profession, i have already run through the standard things.

Can you please look into it on the back end and /or update.
Shane

Hi @czar777,

We got your details and requested an update for the modem/router's firmware. It may take 24-48hrs to be completed. Should you require more assistance. Please let us know.

Regards,

can you update my firmware, I cant find the PM

Archer VR1600v v2.0 00000000

livephoenix7
Level 2

Hello @BasilDV, It's been 5 days now since I have sent the PM.

I am still wating for your response.