TPG Community

Get online support

TP Link Archer vr1600v overheating and plastic turning brown

TJ
Level 2
Level 2

I have the tpl link vr1600v  modem router, which is now getting very hot.  It's located in a cool free airflow position.  The outside plastic at the top is turning brown...will it catch fire?  This was supplied by tpg, and if it catches fire are they liable lfor the resulting fire damage?

I have contacted tpg  via email on 3 occasions and only get the thanks for email blah blah. 

The tplink would still be under warranty 

Would be nice if they actually replied via email. 

21 REPLIES 21
Angeli

Hi @TJ

I believe your modem needs a replacement is you are having this type of issue. Kindly PM to me the following:

TPG customer ID/username:

Account name:

Preferred delivery address: 

Contact number:

How do I private message (PM) in the community

Thanks,

Angeli

tmac29
Level 2
Hi, our modem is having the exact same problem. It gets very hot and is turning a yellow/brown colour up the top. We are also experiencing slow speed on the 2.4ghz channel but not the 5ghz (it does drop out occasionally though, but speed is fine). But some devices can’t connect to 5ghz. What are our options for upgrading or replacing the modem.
Angeli

Hi @tmac29

Kindly send the image of your current TPG supplied modem here and then private message to us your TPG customer ID or username. We'll have it assessed for replacement. 

Regards, 

Angeli

tmac29
Level 2

Hi Angeli,

Here's a photo of our TP Link Archer Vr1600v modem and I'll send you a message.

Thanks.

Adrian1974
Level 2
Hi
I have the same issue with my modem looking burnt. I have tried to pm you but the instructions don't work. Please help me to get a replacement.
Thanks Adrian
bfwashington
Level 2

Hi, my modem is having the exact same problem. It gets very hot and is turning a yellow colour up the top. I'm also experiencing dropouts twice a day on average from devices connected to the 5GHz network while those connected to the 2.4GHz network seem to be stable. What are the options for upgrading or replacing the modem?

Shane

Hi @bfwashington,

Let us help check the warranty status of the modem so we can request for a replacement.

Could you shoot us a PM with your details together with the image of the modem/router for reference.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi, my modem is having the exact same problem. It gets very hot and is turning a yellow colour up the top. I'm also experiencing dropouts twice a day on average from devices connected to the 5GHz network while those connected to the 2.4GHz network seem to be stable. What are the options for upgrading or replacing the modem?

Kem67
Level 2

Hi Shane, we have the same issue. Private message instructions don't work on a Apple mobile phone. Attached is the picture of our discoloured device.

BFEB3710-13C7-4A16-B497-1D1D2E3F967E.jpeg

Shane

Hi @Kem67,

Do you see the 'Send Message' button on my profile? The feature will only show once the community log-in attain Level 3. Could you try again and send us your details via PM so we can check the warranty of the modem.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

Hi Shane, we have the same issue. Private message instructions don't work on a Apple mobile phone. Attached is the picture of our discoloured device.

BFEB3710-13C7-4A16-B497-1D1D2E3F967E.jpeg