TPG Community

Get online support

TP Link VR1600v and Palo Alto Networks PA 220

cwells11
Level 2

Hi,

I have my nbn HFC service up and running using the provided TP Link VR1600v, but I am keen to use my Palo Alto Networks PA220 with an AP connected to it but it isn't currently possible to tag VLANs on a PPPoE interface on the PA220.

If I setup the VR1600v to work in bridge mode (https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-turn-on-bridge-mode-on-the-TP-Link-1600v/t...) so it is doing the authenticaion but the PA220 is acting as the firewall/router, would that work? Also, if the nbn modem is connected via the WAN port on the VR1600v, would the PA220 need to be connected to one of the LAN ports? 

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @cwells11 

Welcome to TPG Community!

We were able to locate your account using your community details and understand that you're under the NBN HFC (Hybrid Fibre Coaxial) technology, which has an NBN NTD Box.

The NTD acts like a modem for this technology and bridging the modem will not work with the setup.

BasilDV

cwells11
Level 2
Hi,

Do you mean the NTD or the TP Link VR1600v?
Ahra_G

Hi @cwells11

The NTD acts like a modem for this technology and bridging the TP-Link will not work with the said setup. It is required that you use a router that has VLAN ID. 

Furthermore, the homephone component of your bundle is encrypted and requires the use of our modem, to make and receive phone calls; this is to ensure the security of our customers' connection. 

Regards,

Ahra_G