TPG Community

Get online support

TPG HFC NBN with Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 System

snortie1234
Level 2

Hi,

I have the TPG HFC NBN connection and my Plan includes VoIP package.

I just bought a Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6 system but it doesn't look like I can connect it as a replacement for the TPG router - is that correct?

I can choose to connect the Nighthawk as pure internet but lose the VoIP package?

Are there any workarounds as I would much rather prefer the Nighthawk

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
BasilDV

Hi @snortie1234 

Welcome to the Community!

You are correct. The bundled VoIP will not work with a third party device.

If you really want to use your Mesh system, then you can just use it as an access point that will provide you the WiFi connection.

You may disable the WiFi of the TPG provided modem/router to lessen the WiFi interference within your home.

You may check this thread for some information. Look for the comment from @JovermarL

Stay safe.

BasilDV

snortie1234
Level 2

Hi,

So just to clarify, I could use the MESH router for WIFI by plugging it into the exiting TPG router ? How/weher do I connect the two?

I would need to disable WIFI on the TPG router (how?).

The VoIP would still be enabled through the TPG router with my phone connected directly to this unit.

So in summary the WIFI would then be through MESH units and VoIP through TPG unit?

Sorry, I did read through that link thread but it was so confusing with Customers contradicting each other and yourself as to what works/doesn't work. It was probably way to technical for my understanding!

If my earlier summary is the workaround I see - awesome!

Any degradadtion in either WIFI or VoIP doing it this way? Adding things and not have a 'clean line' always adds compexity/potential issues as I discovered with the Telstra Attenuator and Splitter instaled at our premises that caused so many issues....

Shane

Hi @snortie1234,

To disable the Wi-Fi of our supplied modem/router you need to access the User Interface of the modem via browser using devices connected via LAN/Ethernet cable and go to 192.168.1.1

For more details please see this thread.

Yes, to utilize the TPG-NBN VoIP you still need to connect the handset to the main/TPG supplied modem to Phone Port 1. Also once the Wi-Fi on our supplied modem/router is disable you have to connect all your devices to the Wi-Fi broadcasted by the MESH.

There should be no degradation by using 3rd party mesh however the actual throughput speeds may be slower and could vary due to many factors including type/source of content being downloaded, hardware and software configuration, the number of users simultaneously using the network and performance of interconnecting infrastructure not operated by TPG. Devices connected by Wi-Fi may experience slower speeds than those connected by Ethernet cable.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards,

Hi,

So just to clarify, I could use the MESH router for WIFI by plugging it into the exiting TPG router ? How/weher do I connect the two?

I would need to disable WIFI on the TPG router (how?).

The VoIP would still be enabled through the TPG router with my phone connected directly to this unit.

So in summary the WIFI would then be through MESH units and VoIP through TPG unit?

Sorry, I did read through that link thread but it was so confusing with Customers contradicting each other and yourself as to what works/doesn't work. It was probably way to technical for my understanding!

If my earlier summary is the workaround I see - awesome!

Any degradadtion in either WIFI or VoIP doing it this way? Adding things and not have a 'clean line' always adds compexity/potential issues as I discovered with the Telstra Attenuator and Splitter instaled at our premises that caused so many issues....