TPG Community

Get online support

TPLink VR 1600 V Internet Intermittantly Unavailable on 5ghz band only

thegrach
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I seem to have an issue that has been happening for the last few weeks where internet access is unavailable for any device connected to the 5G band on my modem. The internet is still connected as per the lights on the modem, and all devices connected to the LAN & 2.4G band work as usual. This seems to not resolve itself until I restart the modem/router, then it works ok until the next time. 

There doesn't seem to be a set time or duration between these episodes, but it could be happening whilst the modem/router is under heavy load, i.e. when 3 devices are streaming video.

Any suggestions are welcome.

19 REPLIES 19
Joseph_D

Hi @thegrach,

Thank you for posting, your concern is indeed unusual. If I understand your case correctly, there are times wherein devices on your network that are connected to the 5GHz band do not have data flow when there are heavy traffic on your network (ie a lot of people using internet), the devices connected to LAN & 2.4GHz are not affected by this, the issue is resolved by switching the router off & on.

Just a thought, have we tried to reset the modem & reconfigure it's wireless?

The article below should help:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-set-up-your-TP-Link-VR1600v-modem/td-p/709

Kind regards,

Joseph D

thegrach
Level 2

@Joseph_D wrote:

Hi @thegrach,

Thank you for posting, your concern is indeed unusual. If I understand your case correctly, there are times wherein devices on your network that are connected to the 5GHz band do not have data flow when there are heavy traffic on your network (ie a lot of people using internet), the devices connected to LAN & 2.4GHz are not affected by this, the issue is resolved by switching the router off & on.

Just a thought, have we tried to reset the modem & reconfigure it's wireless?

The article below should help:

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/How-to-set-up-your-TP-Link-VR1600v-modem/td-p/709

Kind regards,

Joseph D

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the suggestion, I have just got around to doint this this morning, so I'll keep an eye on it and see how we go!

thegrach
Level 2
Hi Joseph,

Unfortunately this issues seems to be continuing even after I have completed a reset and reinstall of the modem router. Are there any other troubleshooting steps I should go through?
Riezl

Hi @thegrach, thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot.

We recommend having a read of these community articles, which may help in improving the wireless connectivity performance most especially on the 5GHz network:

Wireless Channel on your modem - what is it and why should I change it?

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wireless-Channel-on-your-modem-what-is-it-and-why-...

Easy Steps to Improve Wi-Fi Connection In Your Home

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Easy-Steps-to-Improve-Wi-Fi-Connection-In-Your-Hom...

Wi-Fi troubleshooting steps - No Internet/Connection

https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Wi-Fi-troubleshooting-steps-No-Internet-Connection...

Let us know should you have further queries. Thank you.

Fiery
Level 4

The problem is the cheap assed modem TPLink VR1600V I have one too, and the sad sacks at TPG won't allow us to use VOIP with a better modem Cat Mad

Riezl

The TPG VoIP service is only configured on the TPG supplied modem, but you can opt to use your own NBN compatible equipment for the internet service, @Fiery.

Let us know should you need any assistance. Thank you.

tom89
Level 2

Hi @thegrach , @Riezl , @Joseph_D  have you managed to solve that problem?

I've recently got FTTB from TPG with the same router and I'm experiencing the exact same problem.

The internet sometimes randomly stops working for all devices connected to 5ghz wifi.

2.4ghz doesn't have this problem, but there's a lot of interference on 2.4.ghz channels from my neighbours' networks so the speeds and stability are not very good. I would prefer to be able to use 5ghz.

Restarting the router solves the problem temporarily, but it's quite inconvienient having to restart it every couple of hours.

I've tried factory-resetting the router and configuring it from scratch, but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.

Thanks,

Tom

Shane

Hi @tom89

Welcome to the community!

Have you tried to follow the troubleshooting article posted above? The article posted below will help improve the wireless connection of the network.

Let us know how it will go.

Cheers!

tom89
Level 2

Hi @Shane ,

I've tried the troubleshooting steps already.

I'm pretty sure that is not caused by interference, I've tried a couple of different 5ghz channels. I've also used wifi analyzer app on my phone to see what channels are already used by other networks around, and chosen my channel to be different.

It's also not about the range, I usually use my laptop literally 2 meters from the router and there are no obstacles between. The router is also not hidden or blocked by anything.

The network drops on all devices connected to 5ghz at the same time regardless of their distance to the router.

As I mentioned previously, resetting the router solves the problem just temporarily for a couple of hours. Factory-reset also didn't help.

Thanks,

Tom