Time for a New Modem?

froxyn
Level 3
I’m having issues with the modem just dropping off and taking ages to reconnect. This has been going on for a few months, but is escalating in frequency and time down. The black NBN box seems to be fine, the Huawei HG659 is the issue, I believe.

I’m not really sure what to do/how to get a replacement. Can anyone here give some assistance?

Thank you.
12 REPLIES 12
froxyn
Level 3
Also, I have reset the modem to factory settings...I’ve done numerous reboots...I can’t access the admin page for the modem because...no internet.

My partner and I are both working from home due to Covid and this week is a REALLY busy week due to end of semester results (we both work in education support for a University) - this needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I’m a bit anxious :/
froxyn
Level 3
I’ve just been able to log in to the admin page for the modem. I have the following information:

Product type: HG659
Device ID: 00E0FC-J3N8W17314006496
Hardware version: VER.B
Software version: V100R001C216B112

When I try to connect to the internet, I get the following message:

Your device can not connect to the internet, please contact your ISP.
BasilDV

Hi @froxyn 

Thanks for raising this with us.

We understand that you've been in touch with our Tech team and the case has been raised to our Engineering team for further investigation. An NBN technician might be requested to further check if the issue is with the modem or within the NBN network.

An assigned Engineer will be in touch with you via SMS or phone call within 24 to 48 hours as soon as it becomes available.

BasilDV

froxyn
Level 3
I did check the NBN status page and everything seems to be fine at my address and the nbn box seems to be working fine.

I think it’s the Huawei modem. It just won’t connect to the internet. It was working this morning, then it suddenly wasn’t - it has done this numerous times over the past few months. I’ve called tpg a couple of times about this previously.

My main concern at the moment is work. I really need to get this fixed ASAP - even if that means I go out and purchase my own modem (obviously, I’d rather not do that - but this is a big issue at a very bad time Smiley Sad )
froxyn
Level 3
This message has been showing for well over an hour now. I’m assuming it’s because I was instructed to do a factory reset of the modem?

“Your newly installed broadband equipment is waiting to be automatically configured”

But it doesn’t seem to be progressing any further.
froxyn
Level 3
The “waiting to be configured” message went away...to be replaced with the “cannot connect to the internet” message again.

I have a ticket number, but no further response from tpg, and a bucketload of work to do starting on Tuesday (05/01) that I CAN’T do because of this problem.

Would be happy to drive to Macquarie Park to pick up a new modem, if that is an option - and if that is indeed the problem. I seriously need this sorted tomorrow (Monday 04/01) Smiley Sad

froxyn
Level 3
So it’s working for MAYBE 5 minutes out of each HOUR - and when it IS connected, it’s very slow and obviously unstable.
froxyn
Level 3
I’m really confused.

Called tpg again this morning and was told it’s an nbn issue and that they would get nbnco to send a technician out. I just checked the nbn outages page for the gazillionth time and it says no outage detected and to contact service provider if there are issues.

There’s nothing on the nbn site about maintenance outages either. The person I just spoke to at tpg told me that there were maintenance outages in my area.

??????

None of this actually makes sense and it’s all contradictory. We just need working internet by tomorrow so we can actually do our jobs. Smiley Sad
Ahra_G

Hi @froxyn

There are different types of dropouts that you may experience:

1. Network dropouts, this dropout is caused by a line fault on TPG or NBN's network. Affecting all device(s) LAN/Wireless connected to the modem/router this may require a real-time test and investigation by our Technicians and Engineers.

2. Wireless dropouts, this issue only affects the device(s) connected via Wi-Fi which can easily be fix by doing adjustment to the modem/router's settings.

3. Dropouts caused by ongoing outage in your area.

Some outages/maintenance are posted on the NBN Outage page specially if there are multiple services that are affected; whilst some are isolated or just an individual case. 

Recent update showed that an appointment is booked tomorrow, 05 January 2021 between 8AM - 12PM. Please confirm your attendance by replying to the SMS sent by our Engineering Team. 

-Ahra_G