TPG Community

Get online support

Ubiquiti Dream Machine with NBN FTTN

bmhdg76
Level 2

Hi

Am hoping someone can asssist.

I am looking at completely redoing our home network as not happy with the lack of control/security we have with our current setup and the low speed we get through the supplied modem/router.

As such am looking at changing to a Ubiquiti Unify network with a Dream Machine Pro.

Now my concern with this is that the Dream Machine Pro connects to the internet itself usually via WAN connection.  From my research I will need to convert my TPLINK VR1600v to Bridge mode?
Am I correct in this?

As we are FTTN i would not be able to connect the WAN straight in as needs the VDSL modem?

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

The reason for the serious hardware is due to us running a small business from home so needing the security and flexibility this will give us (we have approx 30 wired and 15 wireless items connected at any one time).

7 REPLIES 7
Shane

Hi @bmhdg76 ,

Welcome to the community!

We'd like to set your expectation that we do not have information on how to setup Ubiquiti Unify network with a Dream Machine Pro. But we have existing articles that you may find helpful on how to set up Bridge mode or on how to connect additional/extension router on our supplied modem.

See links below.

How to set up a bridge on archer vr1600v. 

Connecting Google Wifi to the Huawei HG659 Bridge Mode 

Are the Tpg routers DHCP compatible? 

Note: In the event that Ubiquiti Unify network and Dream Machine Pro requires a static IP address it could be an issue as the TPG NBN Residential service all comes with dynamic IP address.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Regards, 

PatchDaz
Level 2

Hi

Just checking to to see how you went.  I want to do something similar but with just the Dream Machine (not the Pro).  Anything special I need to note?

thanks in advance

Darren

bmhdg76
Level 2
Darren

Best move I ever made.
No real issues once setup the TPG modem to bridge mode.
Setup of the UDM-Pro was pretty straight forward. Did have to reboot the modem to reset the link and all was good.

I’m on FTTC and getting speeds of 98/38.
PatchDaz
Level 2
Brilliant, off to get Dream Machine
PatchDaz
Level 2
I got my UDM and Archer modem. I have totally failed at setting the archer up on bridge mode and getting the UDM to connect to TPG using PPoE (I’m on FTTN). Any gems of advice?
JaiSpicer
Level 2

How did you go? I am looking at getting one and am on FTTN