TPG Community

Get online support

Using own Modem/Router for FTTC

SOLVED Go to solution
waynemelb
Level 2

Hi there,

I current have FTTC at my premise and was provided with the TPLink Archer VR1600v Modem Router to which I have a Netgear Nighthawk Tri-Band Router connected to the Modem Router. 

A few questions that i'm hoping to get clarification on

1. Given we have FTTC connection, my understanding is that the NCD acts as a 'modem' and that it is possible to simply have a router plugged into this without the need of the supplied TPLink Modem Router. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

2. Does the fact that we also have VOIP impact on the need for the TP Link Modem Router. From what i've seen is the supplied TP Link Modem Router necessary for VOIP?

3. Is it possible to retain VOIP but not use the suppled TP Link Modem Router. Am i able to use my own modem/router or just a router in this case?

Any advice and support would be most appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david64
Level 15

Did you get a  reply?

1. Yes. NCD is "modem". TPG supply a wifi router; you connect your devices to it. Router is cabled to NCD. Lots of people use their own router (faster, better wifi coverage).

2 and 3. VOIP requires you to use the TPG router connected to NCD. (Why? There's some part of the voip business that is "encrypted" and TPG don't hand out the details.) You can connect your own router to the TPG router and use its wifi for better coverage or as an extender.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Ken-C

Hi there             

Welcome to the community,

Could you please send me a PM (private message) with your CID (customer identication number) or your mobile phone number so can look at this service for you Smiley Happy

kind regards

david64
Level 15

Did you get a  reply?

1. Yes. NCD is "modem". TPG supply a wifi router; you connect your devices to it. Router is cabled to NCD. Lots of people use their own router (faster, better wifi coverage).

2 and 3. VOIP requires you to use the TPG router connected to NCD. (Why? There's some part of the voip business that is "encrypted" and TPG don't hand out the details.) You can connect your own router to the TPG router and use its wifi for better coverage or as an extender.