VPN on HG659

RockMeAmadeus
Level 2

I can only seem to configure L2TP on my HG659 modem/router.

Is it possible to get PPTP to work?

I've seen mention online that it's possible but TPG may lock down the router.

When I try to use L2TP it shows an error message above the input fields with no message.

How can I get this to work?

10 REPLIES 10
BasilDV

Good day @RockMeAmadeus,

Welcome to TPG Community!

PPTP is an obsolete method for implementing a VPN. You may refer to this link. It is not supported on the TPG supplied Huawei HG659 modem.

Are you able to post a screenshot of the error message when you configure the L2TP on the modem?

Kind regards,

spikezrocks
Level 2

I'm having the exact same problem when trying to configure the router for L2TP. Whenever I try to save the VPN settings, I get this blank error message and the VPN settings aren't saved

BasilDV

Hi @spikezrocks,

Are you able to provide us a screenshot of the error that you've been receiving when you set up the L2TP on your HG659 modem? We'll check this further.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

spikezrocks
Level 2
That red bar at the top is the "error" I get. It doesn't provide any kind of message or error code, there's just this red bar that appears with a cross in it, as if it's giving an error but the text is missing
BasilDV

Are you able to post or send us a screenshot of what you are getting every time you configure

the L2TP?

We would like to look into it further.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

spikezrocks
Level 2
It was in my initial post, but reattaching here
BasilDV

Thank you, @spikezrocks.

I've raised this with our Engineering team for further checking. We will get back to you once an update is available.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

BasilDV

Hi @spikezrocks,

Just a quick update.

The L2TP feature is not supported on our routers. We recommend our customers to use the Windows VPN client supplied by their VPN provider.

Let us know should you require further assistance.

Kind regards,

BasilDV

spikezrocks
Level 2

If it isn't supported, then why is it an available option on the router?

Using the Windows VPN client isn't a viable option for me, as I want all devices that connect to my home's WiFi to go through the VPN (devices like my PS4 and Samsung TV can't connect to a VPN).