TPG Community

Get online support

VX220-G2v temporarily disable 5GHz

SOLVED Go to solution
hasluck7
Level 2

I need to disable the 5GHz setting on my VX220-G2v so I can pair a coiuple of security cameras that require a 2.4GHz connection. I received the following from Swann Technical support when I raised my problem with them.

"Since the router is dual-band, you have to call your ISP to separate the 2.4 and 5G temporarily just to pair the camera to the 2.4 WiFi."

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
hasluck7
Level 2

Thanks for your suggestions… I was able to separate pout the 2.4 & 5GHz stuff OK, but the cameras still wouldn't pair on 2.4GHz. In frustration, I reset each camera and successfully paired on 2.4GHz.

View solution in original post

Rushbys
Level 2
I had a similar issue with my inverter when I switched over to TPG. I resolved it by creating a new SSID at 2.4G with the same name as my previous provider with same password.
Solved the problem

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
david64
Master

Hi @hasluck7 . Try this. Disable Band Steering (or whatever it is called on this model). Give the 5Ghz band a different name, eg. add  -5G  to it. Connect your cameras.

You might find it is more convenient for general use to have different names for each wifi band.

hasluck7
Level 2

Thanks for your reply. I disabled Band Steering as suggested and the -5G was added automatically to the 5GHz band... I still couldn't pair to the security camera. I then turned off the 'enable' check box for 5G altogether with the same result, so not sure what to do now.

david64
Master

@hasluck7 . Can you use WPS to connect the cameras? You might have to enable WPS in router.

What is the model type of the cameras?

hasluck7
Level 2

The cameras are Swann CORECAMs that are limited to 2.4GHz for WiFi pairing. I'm not sure about WPS, but I'll enable it and see what happens. At the moment I have separate bands for 2.4GHz and 5GHz showing on my iMAC and other devices.

david64
Master

@hasluck7 . Connection process is done using app (various flavours). The app device has to be on the same network, presumably the same 2.4GHz band as the cameras. You just follow the steps in the app.

Your phone is normally connected to your home wiffi, but during the process connects to the camera's wifi network to make it connect to your home wifi and connect to Swann.

hasluck7
Level 2

Thanks for your suggestions… I was able to separate pout the 2.4 & 5GHz stuff OK, but the cameras still wouldn't pair on 2.4GHz. In frustration, I reset each camera and successfully paired on 2.4GHz.

Rushbys
Level 2
I had a similar issue with my inverter when I switched over to TPG. I resolved it by creating a new SSID at 2.4G with the same name as my previous provider with same password.
Solved the problem