Get online support

VoiP issue with my setup

SOLVED Go to solution
ds888
Level 3
Can anyone help regarding my setup
please. I need some
options.
The current state is that I have an Archer VR1600v connected to the NBN box. I also have a handset connected to the modem to use the voip, and it all works fine.
What I want to do is use another, better, wifi router while keeping the telephony in place.
So I went to setup the VR1600v as a bridge but then I read that the telephony won’t work if you do that because the VR1600v must be the primary router in order to provide the voip. This is a problem because then I cant connect my router to the NBN box in place of the VR1600v without losing the voip on the VR1600v. My new router has no modem or telephony.
How do people usually solve this issue?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ds888
Level 3
I believe that using my wi-fi router as an access point while connected to the VR1600v, which acts as the modem and also provides the IP phone line, is a good enough solution. This solution gives me what I need although I end up with both devices (the router and the VR1600v) on the table. Hopefully I can convince my partner at some point that we don’t need the IP phone and then I will be able to retire the VR1600v! ...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Ken-C

Hi there             

Welcome to the community,

Could you please send me a PM (private message) with your CID (customer identication number) or your mobile phone number so can look at this service for you Smiley Happy

Kind regards

ds888
Level 3

Just bumping this as I'm still looking for a solution.

I tried connecting the VR1600v to a LAN port on my router but it didnt get the telephony working.  From what I understand thats counter productive anyway because you then have two NAT devices on the one network.  Hence why we have a bridge function.

I believe that I should be able to configure my router downstream from the VR1600v without using bridge mode, but have no idea how.

Just to reiterate what I'm trying to achieve: I want to use my wi fi router as it has better reach, features and speed than the VR1600v but I also want the telephone handsets to be connected.  The problem is that the handsets appear to require connection to the VR1600v and the VR1600v does not appear to support them when in bridge mode.

ds888
Level 3

Just an update while I'm waiting, as a work around I've setup my router as an access point downstream from the VR1600v  

This works in that I get my routers wi-fi network and its advanced features and also the VR1600v phone line works too.  

I disabled the VR1600v 5G band to reduce potential interference with my router, but I had to leave the 2G up so I can connect to it to administer the VR1600v (I dont have a wired PC near it).

The downside is that I need to connect to my router's admin page via the VR1600v and a different ip address, but thats not too onerous.  I had to disable my routers DHCP.

I dont know of any negative impacts or lost functionality of not using my routers DHCP.

If anyone can think of any negatives on this sort of setup let me know, but at least this way I get what I need.

ds888
Level 3
I believe that using my wi-fi router as an access point while connected to the VR1600v, which acts as the modem and also provides the IP phone line, is a good enough solution. This solution gives me what I need although I end up with both devices (the router and the VR1600v) on the table. Hopefully I can convince my partner at some point that we don’t need the IP phone and then I will be able to retire the VR1600v! ...