TPG Community

Get online support

Website Blocking for all hosts on TP-Link VR1600v

Veshengo
Level 2

Website Blocking for all hosts on TP-Link VR1600v

I want to perform some Website blocking on my Router.  I want it for all devices and I want it all the time for specific URLs

I have looked at the Prenatal controls and they seem to only be for specific hosts and by keyword not website URL.

Is there a way to perform blocking as I have described above?

18 REPLIES 18
peter_k

Hi

You can add Domain names as a keyword in the Content Restriction field under Parental Controls.

Here is the Help information for this area.

Content Restriction

Content Restriction allows you to restrict access to specific websites using keywords and domain names. The client devices being controlled by Parental Controls can or cannot access these websites depending on the restriction policy you select.

To specify the content to access
  1. Toggle On Content Restriction.
  2. Select the Restriction Policy according to the needs:
    A. If you want the controlled devices to have access to all websites except certain ones, select Blacklist.
    B. If you want the controlled devices to only have access to certain websites, select Whitelist.
  3. Click Add a New Keyword to add a web address keyword (for example, wikipedia) or domain name to the Blacklist or to the Whitelist.
  4. Click Save.

Regards,

Peter

Veshengo
Level 2

Hello.

Well based on the above instructions the Content Restrictions function does not work

I put in Netflix.com and www.primevideo.com as exclusions ensured blacklist was set and parental controls were set saved the configuration then successfully browsed to the above two sites with no restrictions.

Have you got any other thoughts on why this fails?

david64
Level 15

Hi Veshengo.

It looks like you have to specify the "controlled devices" and the times of the restriction (24 x 7). 

I don't know how simple or hard that will be. Maybe for each device you have to set the time restriction and the blacklist. And ensure no foreign wifi device can connect to get around the restrictions.

Veshengo
Level 2

Hi David

Yes I agree with your assessment and that is just stupid.

I should be able to block URLs for all devices on my Network.

What a Rubbish Router, I clearly am going to have to go an buy an aftermarket one.

That is exceptionally poor that the supplied router doesn’t have such basic functionality.

david64
Level 15

Hi Veshengo.

I'd suggest playing with it a bit longer to see whether you can achieve the type of restrictions you want (even for one device) so you have a reference for getting another router.

At best, it will be finicky because you can't specify all devices as a group.

Veshengo
Level 2

So Peter.

Is it correct that I cannot apply the blacklist to all devices on the network?

Veshengo
Level 2

I Note my original question has still not been answered.

Is there a way to block websites for all devices in the network, not have to specify them?

Shane

Our supplied TP-Link vr1600 parental control only support word restriction unfortunately it does not have a feature to manually block a website/URL.

You may look for a 3rd party software that will allow you to block website/URL. Let us know should you require further assistance.

Cheers!

I Note my original question has still not been answered.

Is there a way to block websites for all devices in the network, not have to specify them?

mathewjone
Level 2

I need it for all gadgets and I need it all the ideal opportunity for explicit URLs

I have taken a gander at the Prenatal controls and they appear to just be for explicit hosts and by watchword not site URL.

Is there an approach to perform obstructing as I have portrayed previously.

whataburger survey feedback