TPG Community

Get online support

WiFi and Ethernet clients can't always see each other

Australis
Level 3

Recently I've started seeing some major issues with wireless and ethernet comms using the supplied TP-Link Archer VR1600v v2.0. The behaviour leads me to suspect an issue with the internal routing of the unit itself and that the device may be starting to fail (it is 3 years old and so out of warranty).

I have both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless networks enabled (with different SSIDs) as well as devices connected via Ethernet (including a few that are far enough from the modem-router that they are connected via TP-Link Ethernet-over-Power modules until I can install Ethernet cabling).

The problem I am seeing is that devices are unable to communicate between the different APs:

• Devices on 5GHz cannot ping devices on 2.4GHz or Ethernet but can consistently ping router
  • Devices on 2.4GHz cannot ping devices on 5GHz or Ethernet but can consistently ping router
  • Devices on Ethernet are able to ping devices on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

I have checked that AP isolation is disabled (even tried enabling it and saving the settings, then disabling and saving the settings), to no avail. All the LAN ports and both WiFi networks are in the same group (default) and guest wireless is disabled.

The (rather limited) onboard diagnostics on the VR1600v show no problems.

Any suggestions as to what I could try next?

9 REPLIES 9
Shane

Hi @Australis ,

Have you tried to do performing a factory reset on the modem/router and re-configure the devices again?

Regards,

Australis
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion @Shane, I will give that a go later today and report back with the results.

Australis
Level 3

I've completed a factory reset on the modem-router and reconfigured it from scratch.

This seems to have partly worked:

• 5GHz wifi clients can now ping 2.4GHz wifi clients and vice-versa.
  • Devices connected via Ethernet can still ping wifi clients.
  • However, it still looks like the wifi clients can't access anything on the Ethernet.
BasilDV

Hi @Australis 

We'd like to check on what we can arrange for you.

Kindly send us a private message with your account details.

BasilDV

Australis
Level 3

Thanks @BasilDV - just sent you a PM.

Australis
Level 3

Hi @BasilDV,

Hoping to get some additional information on the VX420. I started a new thread at https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Modems-and-Devices/TP-Link-VX420-capabilities-and-configuration-opti... and it would be good to get an official response.

Thanks.

Aubrey

Hi @Australis, we're currently providing the TP-Link VX220-G2v modem. You can find more about the specifications here. 

Aubrey

Australis
Level 3

Thanks @Aubrey. When I spoke to a TPG rep a week ago, I thought he said the VX420, but will take a look at the VX220.

Was there supposed to be a link in your post to the specs of TPG's customised VX220-G2v?

Aubrey

Apologies as I failed to attach the link. Smiley Happy