Wifi mesh system

Billyqs
Level 2
Hi
I want use a wifi mesh system for my home. I’m unable to find any concrete threads of which devices are supported by tpg. Can someone please explain in layman terms of which devices can I use and how to set them up. The existing list of modem routers seems outdated
5 REPLIES 5
Shane

Hi @Billyqs ,

You can try to check this existing thread about connecting Mesh Wi-Fi network. 

Note: TPG does not support 3rd party mesh or routers, to avoid incorrect troubleshooting we recommend contacting manufacturer support.

Regards,

Billyqs
Level 2
Exactly my point. All you are doing is sending me to the same link that I looked at before.

Are you able to advise me if I would only be able to use the mesh system with the current router provided by tpg? Can I not replace the current tpg router?

There are hundreds of mesh systems available on the market. Are these the only ones that tpg support?
Shane

Hi @Billyqs ,

Have you experienced any performance issues with the current modem? If so can you tell us more and send me a PM with your details? 

You can use any 3rd party mesh modem/router however we can only provide basic configuration settings to establish the internet connection.

How to send a PM? 

Regards,

david64
Level 15

Hi @Billyqs . If you have FTTB/FTTN, you need a router with RJ11 DSL port to connect to the phone line. Mesh units don't usually have one. You can use a TPG-supplied router like an Archer which can be put into bridge mode, and mesh unit is connected to that.

For the other connection types, you can do a search in Community for other users with mesh units. 

Put    mesh   in the search box, sort by Date to see most recent posts.You'll see various models being used.

Generally, Asus, D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link, Eero. For some, there are instructions on how to configure.

Your other consideration is if you have bundled NBN/VOIP plan (uses VLAN ID), or FTTP connection or Data only plan (VLAN ID not used in both cases).

You can search on internet for mesh units from these manufacturers, or on retail websites for locally available units (JBHiFi, Officeworks, Harvey Norman, ...).

You might prefer a model which has an online manual to read rather than one which uses an app.

There is a set of functions that all units have, but some might have functions you don't need.

You can consider cost, wifi coverage, wifi throughput (number of wifi users and their activities), wifi security.

david64
Level 15

@Billyqs . TP-Link Deco DSL models do have RJ11 DSL port for FTTB/FTTN. The Deco DSL router connects directly to the phone socket.